cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Adulting: Looking for work

@Bee yeah, I apply for jobs everyday but I always get rejected.. a lot of the time I don't even get responses. It makes me feel real disheartened because all my friends have jobs, my boyfriend has multiple jobs and my dad is always asking if I have found a job yet. I can't pay for anything, not even petrol so I can't drive until I get a job to afford the upkeep of a vehicle. Even really simple roles reject me. I went through a period where I gave up looking but I went back to applying.. I applied for 3 more jobs today, I really hope I get a response but I'm doubtful. Smiley Sad

@May_ I haven't made a list of strengths.. i don't know if it will help. I feel like it would be better if I knew someone else thought I had strengths. Thanks for the suggestion though. Heart

Looking for work too. Just finished study and it's quite tough so far, had a major relationship breakup up last year and it just makes it 10x harder to find a job and when I'm not out at a job interview, I'm just thinking about everything that's happened. But I believe in the end I'll end up getting something, been rejected quite a lot too. Good luck everyone.

hey there @dingo100  , welcome to the RO forums - sounds like things have been quite tough for you recently. 

Holding onto hope is important, and you're right - you will get there! It's just the getting there that can be really hard..

How have you been coping with the relationship breakup? Have you had other people to talk to about it and support you? 

Hi everyone! I have also had trouble finding a job that reflects my interests and talents. It's hard when you're trying to find experience for postgraduate study. Being rejected multiple times can be really disheartening. I have also been rejected after an interview for a Master's program. I think it's harder finding a job or internship now than when our parents were looking for work, so sometimes people don't understand why I don't yet have a paid job. A lot of jobs now want you to have specific experience, even just to work in food service, retail or an unpaid internship. I have also applied for jobs aimed towards students and haven't even received interviews despite doing the same tasks in an unpaid position. Luckily, I have the support of my family and friends during this time.

I think all of these experiences of rejection can be really useful. Sometimes an employer will give you feedback on what they were looking for. Additionally, I have a sense of the questions I can be asked in an interview as a result of my failed applications, which will help me when I decide to apply again.

I have also done a lot of volunteering and courses which I have put on my resume. I was lucky enough to get some references through volunteering. Some of my friends got into postgraduate programs through unpaid internships alone. My friends and I have found that a lot of volunteering experiences or jobs for young people can be really dodgy though. Once, I was 'fired' as an intern. The owner accused me of having an undiagnosed mental disorder, which I have previously been assessed for and found not to have. They also accused me of making mistakes they had no proof I made and which I don't believe I made. I stood up for myself as I knew I had been doing my job to the best of my ability with the resources I had. I later found out the real reason they 'fired' me was because they wanted to replace me with a paid candidate. I also had another unpaid position where the bosses were dishonest about where I would be working and did not mention that I would have to regularly travel long distances, including to their other office more than an hour away from my home, when I had applied to work at an office ten minutes from my house. These experiences have shaped me as a person and I'm now wiser about choosing which offers to accept. I'm still a bit bitter about them though.

Unfortunately, I found my university to not be of much help when looking for positions. Often, they didn't have any ideas about what to do after I graduated and the careers advisors were usually unavailable. I did get some experience and references through the university though.

Good luck to everyone looking for a job! It's really tough and just getting an interview is an achievement.

@Ladybug  that is the hard part hey! It's easy to feel really disheartened when you don't hear back or get rejected. Heart
I think a list of strengths is a good idea, we had a Wellbeing activity about strengths recently which might be worth looking over. Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy  Thank you for sharing! Heart

Sounds like you've had a few negative experiences, I'm sorry to hear this, and that your uni wasn't very helpful in looking for jobs.

Where are you up to now? Have you found work yet?

Wishing you luck Heart

I'm noticing a common theme of feeling lots of emotions when job applications, interviews etc don't work out. This is totally normal. And I wanted to ask if anyone has something that they found helpful in these moments? For me, I found taking time to grieve the application/interview was helpful but also acknowledging if there were any aspects about the role I didn't like, or maybe the vibe wasn't my style etc. I also like to do something nice for myself to show myself some love. For me living with mental health concerns, having a supportive work environment is a must, and I'm glad to finally have found one.

How do you look after you when job applications or interviews don't work out?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hi @Bee! Thanks for your support. I haven't heard back from any employers in my field yet. A not-for-profit wanted to take me on for a volunteering job though. Just to apply, I had to have three referees. Luckily, I had them from my previous experiences but it almost discouraged me from applying. I think they're waiting for the police check to come back. It seemed like a good, more hands on opportunity than my past experiences and they seem more organised than some other places I've volunteered at. I felt like I've been used in the past.

It's hard for me to commit to any specific hours right now because I am currently caring for one of my family members. The hospital kept delaying their admission date even though their symptoms are severely disabling. I'm angry at a lot of the people involved in their case because they wasted a lot of our time, leading to the family member getting worse, and I felt that they should have understood the big impact it had on us as a family. They also tend to organise meetings with us and because of the nature of the disability, we have to organise an ambulance to take them to the hospital and take the whole day off. It's a big operation for us. I hope that things will become easier once they get admitted. Maybe I'll be able to do some work around the hospital.

I think your advice is good and I'm glad you've found a supportive environment! I found venting to my family and friends and asking for their support made me feel a lot better about my bad experiences. It made me feel kind of better to know that I'm not alone in what I've experienced. I could have blamed myself but I like to see some of my experiences as a loss to the employer. I also had other things to look forward to such as my hobbies and going on a holiday.

@gina-RO wrote:

hey there @dingo100  , welcome to the RO forums - sounds like things have been quite tough for you recently. 

Holding onto hope is important, and you're right - you will get there! It's just the getting there that can be really hard..

How have you been coping with the relationship breakup? Have you had other people to talk to about it and support you? 

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been coping well, sometimes I feel like I'm ok but then the next day I'm not, there's heaps of triggers that just make me think about my relationship and I sometimes cry, I've had heaps of support, it just doesn't seem to work. I'm hoping it will pass. But this morning I went for a job interview and they seemed pretty happy with my responses, which made me feel much better about myself, hope I get the job!

Hey @dingo100 Great to hear about the good job interview! I always feel amazing after a good interview! Smiley Happy What could be a nice thing you can do to reward yourself for the job interview?

I'm sorry to hear about your break up. It sucks that you're not finding the supports helpful, but it is good that you have them anyway. You still sound pretty hopeful which is always important! 

@Libellule 

Didn't do anything to reward myself, but being hopeful must of helped as I got a call back from them and got the job! I'm pretty excited to start and it should definitely help me take my mind off things. Keen to start! My advice is to never give up. 

@Ladybug it's so tough when it feels like everyone around you has a job but I promise you are not alone. Huge achievement to apply for 3 jobs, well done! Did you do anything rewarding afterwards? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I think the challenge of writing the list of strengths is that it can be really hard to recognise strengths in ourselves especially if we haven't done it before. Is there anyone you'd feel comfortable talking to about your strengths? Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy that sounds so tough I'm sorry you experienced that at your internship Smiley Sad It really resonated with me when you mentioned still feeling bitter about the experience - I've also experienced feeling bitter after being treated unfairly at a job. It can be really tough to let go of that feeling but as you mentioned those types of experiences really do shape you and make you wiser Smiley Happy Do you find anything helps you with trying to accept or let go of those types of feelings after having a bad experience?

@dingo100 so happy for you that you got the job Smiley Happy