cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Impossible Dream

Ever since I was little, I wanted to be a figure skater. Unfortunately, we didn't live near an ice rink, and I was unable to take lessons. Now, I'm 15, and yesterday I ice skated for the very first time. It was possibly the best experience of my life, I felt free and the closest to happy I've been in years. I've had dreams of who I wanted to be before, but this is something deeply emotional that I can't even describe, every moment since it ended I have wanted to be back on the rink. It was an enormous release, more than reading or music or anything else I've tried. I want to be a figure skater, but I feel somewhat embarrassed by this dream because I've always been the 'smart' one in the family, not the athlete, and I feel like people will think it's ridiculous. I don't know how I'm so supposed to convey how strong my passion is to my family, and that I need to do this. I don't think they would let me, after all it would include moving to try and accomplish a dream I should've started ages ago. I need this.

Re: An Impossible Dream

Hey @Blurryphaced,

So amazing to hear you've found a passion in figure skating. It certainly sounds like it was a really positive experience for you.

I come from an elite athlete background myself, so I definitely get what can be a difficult balance between school and sport, but it's not to say you can't have both if that's what you want. While I don't know very much about figure skating, from my experience in other sports, a lot of elite programs often require you to maintain your academics while pursuing your sport. 

Are there any particular programs that interest you the most? If so, would it be possible to research what it would involve to be a part of this and present it to your family?

I completely understand how you're feeling, I went through a very similar experience a few years ago (with a different sport however).

As @Sunflower18 said, figure skating seems to be a very positive thing for you, and that's really great!

Given my experience with an issue like this, I suggest that you express yourself as you did on here today. I found that talking with one of my closest relatives really opened the door for me. Don't feel pressured to take on everyone at once. If you can find someone who will listen to you and understand where you're coming from you're able to establish a support for yourself.

Express to them that this experience made you feel extremely happy, that you felt fulfillment from what you were doing. Most people will understand how important this is - by finding something in your life that you have great passion for, you're more likely to find success in others areas of your life.

You'll still be able to uphold your status as the "smart" person in the family - if you were able to uphold that status while not being at your best, you certainly will be able to while being at your best! Make sure your family knows that. Smiley Happy

I hope you can resolve this, I really do understand where you're coming from, and it is such a difficult situation; the key is to remain determined, and to set little goals along the way.

Hey @Blurryphaced,

Just wanted to check in and see how you're going?

I mean if it's a dream then it's what we live for right @Blurryphaced? Don't we all want our dreams to come dream no matter how grand or impossible it may seem? Shouldn't we owe it to ourselves to at least try? 

Maybe you can tell your parents that is it a new hobby, surely they would allow this? Don't have to tell your parents that you're giving up school to pursue this etc.