cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxiety of going to a new school

Hi

I’m going to a new school this year

And I’m very anxious about going back to school because it’s a new school and a new campus and I don’t know where anything is and I don’t know a lot of the people

How can I get over my anxiety of going back to a new school?

Re: Anxiety of going to a new school

Hey @JonoG,
That sounds pretty nerve wracking and it's totally valid to be anxious, starting at a new school is a scary prospect and you aren't alone. The major things I did that I really think helped me fit in were just being very nice, saying hi and all that nice stuff. Something I realised was that the kids that are already there don't take the steps to welcome you often, you have to do the work yourself Smiley Sad

Something I tried to do was not think a ton about it (even though it's very difficult) because for me, I over-analyse things and work myself up about it. By not thinking about it, I was much more relaxed and the nerves were a lot less. It's a tricky topic, hopefully that helped x
Highlighted

Hi @JonoG,

Starting at a new school can feel daunting, so we are glad you have reached out to us for support before the school year starts. @annabethxchasehas shared some thoughts from her experiences starting at a new school, do you think some of these strategies will work for you?

You mentioned you know a few people, but not a lot. Are you close with the people you know?

I am going to link you some ReachOut content here around back to school stress Heart We also have a live chat on Monday evening on the forums about going back to school, you can find out more about it here 

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

hi @JonoG

Being anxious about starting at a new school is very normal and i dont have alot to add to what the others have already said except perhaps go easy on yourself during the transition phase (which can take a week or 2) to get use to the way the new school works, finding the classrooms, meeting the teachers and students in your classes. try not to get upset with yourself for finding it difficult to adjust although i hope it is an easy one.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Yes I am close to the few I know

That's great that you already know a few people @JonoG! Perhaps you could reach out to them when school starts?

Another thing that really helped me when I changed to new schools years ago was that I attempted to get to know/make friends with other new students who were starting there for the first time as well, as it made me feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one with the new school stresses and it made the transition to the new school a bit more seamless. Given how it's the start of the whole school year, there's a good chance there'll be new students at your new school in your position. Do you reckon that this might be helpful?

Yes that would be very helpful thanks

You're most welcome @JonoG! Let us know how you go with your new school. Good luck - I wish you all the best Smiley Happy