cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Anyone else actually work/study more with anxiety?

Hey @StormySeas17 

Thanks for your advice! I've been trying to do that actually recently. More activities that aren't productive in the usual sense but things that help me feel like I'm doing something with myself without draining myself out. I do some knitting (literally just a long rectangle/maybe a scarf since I can't knit well Smiley LOL), watching netflix and getting through a series and exercising every day.

It's definitely a work in progress but I'll have to keep at it! I think it's ok right now since it's teh holidays and it'll be the real challenge when uni starts again soon. 

Highlighted

Hey @A_Friend 

Thanks for your response! I've been trying to do that a lot more lately- switching my mindset to learn that holidays is also for resting so that I can recharge and be at my best for when teh next semester starts. I guess it's a work in progress and something I'll have to keep retelling myself but I'm getting there!

Highlighted

Hey @hunginc 

Luckily, I have a boyfriend doing the same course as me and often our classes are the same so he knows the workload I have really well. He helps me and keeps me accountable for when I don't stop working and am draining myself out. I'm very grateful for that!!

Highlighted

@ayrc_1904 I'm glad to hear that you've been trying out new activities! Honestly knitting is a good one, especially for scarves. Because you can kind of pick them up and keep knitting them forever if you want to Smiley LOL I heard of one person who decided to make a granny-square blanket and basically did this until lockdown was announced to be over. She got a pretty big blanket by the end of it! I've been trying to exercise at least 3 times a week and walk most days so I definitely relate!

I could probably start a new thread for this but I thought since we're all here I could ask. Does anyone have any tips for not turning into a workaholic during school and uni? I'm doing 4 subjects when I usually do 3 to try and take some time off this time next year, plus work has given me a couple extra hours, plus my old school has also asked me to do some coaching once a week. I sometimes have issues with my work kind of saying 'can you do this one extra thing? Oh, if you can do that you can do another three extra things right?' and I find it very hard to say no! I'm planning on giving them notice for the weeks that I'm super busy but I know it's going to be a hard push. I really want to prioritise uni but it's hard when it seems like the only thing which is flexible hours-wise y'know??

Highlighted

Hey @StormySeas17 

Glad we relate! I understand the whole finding it hard to say no thing... I DEFINITELY had issues with that especially in high school. It got to the point where at parent-teacher interviews, the only real comment the teacher would say to me was that I need to learn to say no. That literally went on for a few years! I think it finally got into my brain though when I actively made a promise to myself that if I was busy and overwhelmed already, I would say no to people if they needed more help from me. I had a friend keep me accountable too so that was helpful. 

I'm very proud of you too though that you were able to commit yourself to a job. I find it hard to be flexible a lot of the time and always put off finding work because I'm worried the extra time off would affect my uni studies. I'm working on it though and hopefully finding a job soon! I know my high school was willing to offer me one as a tutor there so fingers crossed. 

I would say that it's definitely helpful to have someone keep you accountable and remind you that it's ok to say no sometimes. You have to look after yourself first before you can start helping others to your best ability after all Heart Scheduling in time to rest as well can be helpful so you don't feel guilty about it.

Highlighted

Hey @ayrc_1904! Omg I can't believe you even had teachers telling you to say no- that's crazy! Keeping a promise to myself I think is a good idea, and definitely making someone keep me to it would help. I think I'll make my dad that person because he loves complaining about my work Smiley LOL This year I got a planner from my uni which I've been carrying around in my new bag everywhere. Since I work in tutoring and my issue is students wanting extra help around assessment time, I've decided to start putting down the dates of when their work is due and comparing it to my own timetable. In theory, I'll be able to have the best of both worlds because I can make planned decisions that suit myself, while also not having to outright say no on short notice. That being said, my plans to negotiate failed miserably today when a student asked to triple her lessons to prepare for trials, and I said yes without thinking when it's going to be a real pain in the butt... but it's only for three weeks and my first assessment is in six weeks, so I suppose it's not all bad.

I would definitely recommend tutoring if you can, good luck! I work with a small coaching college and it's been really good. They're used to working with uni students so they always ask for my exam timetable and are really flexible with when I can work. It pays decently too- you could probably make even more going private but I enjoy not having to find my own students or go to houses.

I think you've made me make it a goal for the rest of the year to learn to say no Smiley LOL I tried to schedule in time to rest last semester but it kind of fell apart at the end and I really shouldn't have let it. I'm trying to make Wednesdays my 'special' day where I see a friend and do no uni work, and also Mondays as days where I never go into work, no excuses. My work actually picked up on this boundary super fast. It's kind of your own fault if you don't set them I guess!

Highlighted

Good on you getting a planner @StormySeas17, they can really be a lifesaver! I hope all goes well with your student and their extra tutoring sessions, and thanks for giving your insight on working as a tutor Smiley Happy

Learning to say no can indeed be so hard! It is a real skill that can be developed and practiced, setting those boundaries are definitely a part of self-care. Love setting aside a day to commit to not doing work, it can be so refreshing having something like that to look forward to.

Highlighted

Hey @StormySeas17 

IKR! That's when it really hit me that it was serious lol 

Nice to know you're so motivated to get things going! hahaha I'm sure your dad will keep you on track then. And you're so right about having to set boundaries yourself. It definitely helps. Let me know how things go!

Highlighted

@ayrc_1904 Well so far it's been a bit mixed- my work gave me two extra students for the next three weeks only without telling me until after they'd booked. Which annoyed me because I couldn't really say no unless I absolutely had something on. So I told them it would be okay for the next three weeks but after then it doesn't work (it's very annoying to have to move my car and also it goes until dinnertime!). I also had to get support from friends because my boss miscommunicated on my behalf and told a student that they could have lessons on my day off Smiley Frustrated but it seems that this student is happy to move to my usual work day when I said that I couldn't always take them because, well, it's my day off and I book things on that day. I'm going to have to really put my foot down when assessments come closer because atm it's okay but it may not be later. So fingers crossed!

Highlighted

Hey @StormySeas17 

Damn- I can imagine that'd be annoying! 

Yes, hopefully it's easier to manage when it's more needed before exams. You really gotta put your foot down sometimes, unfortunately. It's sometimes the only way people will understand your boundaries and respect them.

Hope it's all going well!