cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Masters in Psychology despite having the Bachelors Degree in Business Studies

I have an undergraduate degree in the field of Management ( Bachelor in Business Study). I want to switch my faculty and apply for Masters in Psychology. Can I apply from my current undergraduate degree or do I need other courses ( Eg, GRE psychological test etc) to be qualified for applying? What are any other such courses available. If not should I start by obtaining a undergraduate degree in psychology first?

I would be very grateful of your help.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Re: Applying for Masters in Psychology despite having the Bachelors Degree in Business Studies

Hi @zen49,

Welcome to ReachOut! I can see from your post that you are thinking about your next steps for university. It is amazing to see how driven you are to find the right course for you! Smiley Happy

Is psychology the path you are looking to take? Have you already finished an undergraduate degree?

I would really highly recommend speaking to your university/universities you are interested in. They may have some career/course advisors who can help you make the best decision for you. Have you spoken to someone at your university before?

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

Re: Applying for Masters in Psychology despite having the Bachelors Degree in Business Studies

Hi @zen49 its great to hear you're looking at psychology as a pathway. I've done my undergraduate and honours year in psychology and recently applied for a bunch of masters courses so I can give you a little help. 

Masters in psychology takes many forms. The three main ones are profession, clinical, and neuropsychological. There are also of course sport psych, organisational psych, educational etc. So you should try to figure out which type of psychology masters you're interested in and then find out the entry requirements for these courses. For example Here is some information on RMIT master of clinical psych and here is some info on La Trobe's clinical neuropsych course. You'll often find though that you will require an APAC-accredited bachelor's degree and honours degree in psychology to be eligible for a Masters in psychology. 

I think @Jess1-RO is right though, your course counsellor is going to give you the best advice! They will have lots of information about entry requirements and can help you find the best next step for a pathway in psychology. 

I hope this was helpful! Good luck! Heart 

Hey @zen49,

It's great that you are putting a lot of thought into your future!

Like @Libellule said I think you need to have completed at least a 4 year psychology course (including honours) to be eligible for any psychology masters programs. I'm not sure if this extends to all universities so it would be worth having a chat with a course counsellor or even someone in the psychology faculty at your university to see what the requirements would be for you!

Hope this is of some help! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi @zen49 just thought I'd quickly pop in and say that to become a psychologist you need to have completed a four-year APAC accredited psychology course (an undergraduate with a major in psychology and honours) and a Masters in psychology. Seeing as you already have a bachelor degree, I think you would qualify for an advanced graduate diploma in psychology - this means you can fast track your psych subjects and don't have to do a three year undergrad degree again. 

Applying for masters is also a process - you need to have your honours degree and many courses want you to have some experience in mental health. I highly suggest you speak to a course counsellor because they can provide some guidance. 

Good luck with it all, psych is a really rewarding degree!! 

Hey there @zen49 and welcome to the forums!
I hope everything is going well for you, it sounds like you know what you want to study Smiley Happy Speaking to any course advisors is probably a good idea too as they'll have better knowledge about the universities policies and degrees where ever you're studying.

Good luck!!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hi @zen49 !
It's great you're thinking about your future! I am in the psychology stream!
I agree with the others, speaking with a course adviser would be greatly beneficial.
To get into Masters programs in Psychology you need an accredited 4 years of psychology study (undergraduate + honours/4th year equivalent + some kind of psychology experience).
Don't be disheartened if you have to start from the beginning for psychology if you do decide to go down that path because I really do believe if there is a will, there is a way!