cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Art Therapy

Hi there!

So the other day my OT recommended I try art therapy. Has anyone done that before? What's it all about? I kind of have a vague idea but wanted to know more.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Re: Art Therapy

Hi @roseisnotaplant!

I'm afraid I've never done art therapy myself and can't give you anything the internet can't already tell you, although I do remember learning a bit more about it from an introductory counselling course. 

From what I understand, it's a great way to freely express yourself onto whatever medium you free most confortable with (whether it may be painting, drawing, sculpting, etc.) and by doing this, it reduces stress and anxiety, as well as increase mindfulness and even develop a bit of artistic prowess on the side.  Also, the best part of it is that you don't have to be artistically talented (like myself 😅)! By the sounds of things, it definitely would hurt to try. ☺️

It'd be great to hear about your experiences if you do decide to do it so others know what to expect ☺️ also would like to hear from others who have done it! 

@roseisnotaplant it's my understanding that you can undertake a variety of different art projects (e.g. painting, ceramics) in a safe and relaxed environment; I don't really know much about the specifics but in general I've found that whenever I do art I always feel a lot better Smiley Happy

Art therapy is a major part of my life. I can't always find words to describe my symptoms and I've found that drawing them helps because I can simply hand the page over and go from there.

Art skills are not required to benefit from it and it's very versatile. You can draw, paint, make a collage or sculpture; whatever suits you. It can be daunting at first, but give it a go and see what happens.