cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Australia and Torres Strait Islander Library

Hey legends.

Welcome to Reach Out’s very own Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander resource room! 

Let’s share some of our favourite books, movies, music, documentaries or art from or featuring Australia’s First Nations people. Tell us what you learnt and what you loved about it. Also, if you have other things you have learnt from people you know, or even questions, you can bring them to the library too. 

Reply back to others and let them know if you have enjoyed what they’ve shared too. 

I’ll kick it off with some music in the comments below. 

Highlighted
Listen to 60K+ on Spotify. J-MILLA · Song · 2020.

Re: Australia and Torres Strait Islander Library

Highlighted

Awesome thread @Saltwaterdreamtime Smiley Very Happy So many new 'libraries' opening on ReachOut Smiley Tongue

Listening to the song now- it's giving off rap/hiphop vibes! I love it when songs incorporate powerful stories and messages

Looking forward to hearing what others have to share!

Highlighted
Listen to Black Thoughts on Spotify. Ziggy Ramo · Song · 2020.

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 I really love it. I thought it would be a great song to share here first because it touches on the some of the themes I mentioned in the AMAA thread.

Also this one is good, a young bloke from Yolngu country 

https://open.spotify.com/track/2qyqM5IkHRzAh6qC8rV7Fu?si=RxRNobPxRRGX85X4kdpDuw

Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime Woah, that one is so powerful and heavy, talking about how corrupt the system is, especially with so many youths being imprisoned.

We touched on some systematic problems in my applied psych course this semester. It was really sad hearing about young people who had basically become institutionalised and were treated so badly Smiley Sad But there was one story about a boy who got out and reconnected with his community and culture and found a sense of belonging. I think it was a collection of stories called 'Ngaga-dji (hear me)'

Highlighted

Never heard of that but sounds great really interesting I would love to find out more @Lost_Space_Explorer5 

Highlighted

I'm really hesitant to link one of the videos we watched because it's got some heavy/potentially triggering themes (around the justice system, suicide, self-harm, abuse). However, it does raise awareness, and has a hopeful message at the end.

Here's the website if you want to watch the video, but there's also a general info video as well. If you do watch the potentially triggering video about the story of the young person, I'd recommend starting from 1:05 mins in, because that's the more hopeful, less triggering part! 

(Please reach out to some support if you need!)

Highlighted

Great thread @Saltwaterdreamtime - I'll have a listen to the music soon and let you know my thoughts.

Highlighted

Ziggy Ramo is so awesome @Saltwaterdreamtime ! Thanks for making this thread Smiley Very Happy

I'm listening at the moment to Debutante: Race, Resistance and Girl Power which is a podcast by Nakkiah Lui and Miranda Tapsell about debutante balls and what it means for Aboriginal women and girls to get involved in them. It's really fascinating and they are hilarious together, I am listening to it on Audible, I don't think it is on other pod apps unforch.

My family book club is also doing Australia Day by Stan Grant at the moment, I haven't finished it yet but can give an update after our book club meet!

Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime I'm listening to Ziggy Ramo - really nice. I like pretty boy Smiley Happy