cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Autism Acceptance Month April 2020

@hellofriend Ah Amythest is amazing!

They also have a blog called Neurowonderful. Oh wait you've already got that..

We clearly lurk the same parts of the internet. Smiley Tongue

Also ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) is good.

Highlighted

I love this thread @hellofriend, and I love seeing the passion for sharing your lived experience here @Tiny_leaf , @hellofriend and @xXLexi_Lou122Xx . 

I have also learned so much from hanging out with people who champion and shine a light on autistic voices - the neurodiversity movement has been such a game changer for so many people. I have worked in the disability sector previously in a few different capacities (in a research role and also many years as a support worker), and I am so passionate about learning from people who are, as a friend of mine writes, Actually Autistic. For too long autistic voices weren't heard, or weren't listened to. 

A few people I know are involved in the I Can network, which is an autistic led organisation that provides peer mentoring.

Their founder sounds like an amazing guy, and I also really like how they consistently publish pieces like this video which focus only on the voices of people with lived experiences. 

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

Yes Amythest is amazing @Tiny_leaf, and I'm glad you mentioned ASAN- I haven't read much of their content but I contacted them when I first was realising I was autistic and they were really supportive and linked me in with an online autistic peer support group and put me in contact with done other autistic people in my area.

@Janine-RO it makes me so happy when I hear non autistic people who are passionate about neurodiversity and listening to autistic people! 😁

Back to what neurodiversity is, my understanding is that it's the concept that humanity includes a range of variation (diversity) in brain (neuro) types. And that different neurotypes (eg autism, ADHD, dyslexia...) are a part of the normal and natural variations that occur in humans, and aren't a sign of something being wrong (same as different eye colours aren't wrong, just different).

More questions for anyone interested (I'm probably gonna keep doing this as I think of them over the course of April 😛):

What do you wish more people understood about autism?

What do you wish you understood better about autism?

Highlighted

FB_IMG_15863952513722598.jpg

Image credit: Autism Level UP!

I will eventually answer the previous couple of questions, but I just found this and I love it. So some more questions 😛

Where do you currently sit on this graph?

What steps could you take to level up?

No judgement by the way, just a chance for honest reflection and thinking about how to grow from where we are.

I think I'm currently at appreciation, shuffling towards empowerment. I definitely appreciate autism as a valid way to exist that contributes a lot of wonderful things to the world. And I'm trying to take steps towards empowerment. Making this thread was an attempt to empower autistic people to have another platform for sharing their experiences, and to empower people in general to challenge ingrained ableism/ misconceptions they may hold about autism. I try and be empowering whenever I engage in peer support in online autistic communities by encouraging people to follow their dreams, and affirming that they deserve respect/rights etc, and linking any relevant resources that might be useful to them. As a next step, I've been thinking about a potential training session I could run at work on understanding neurodiversity and how in our roles we can make our programs more accessible for neurodiverse clients. I will pursue this after the pandemic's over (was just getting excited about it when our work shut down).

Highlighted

Here's a link from Neuroclastic (another good resource- 'information about the autism spectrum from autistic people') to an article about Autism Level UP!:

https://neuroclastic.com/2020/03/26/so-you-want-to-autism-level-up-game-on/

Highlighted

@hellofriend I know this probably isn't the case but I'm really hoping it's about how to get to the next level of autism. (I'm level two apparently Smiley Tongue)

Highlighted

Haha @Tiny_leaf that's great 😛 they didn't give me a level when I was diagnosed 🤔

The article is more aimed towards allistics in how it's written, but I think the concept is still valuable for autistics (or I find it valuable anyway). It's basically encouraging people to from where they're at take steps to level up in their understanding, tolerance, compassion, empowerment etc towards the autistic community.

Highlighted

@hellofriend really? How do you know how much autism you've accomplished Smiley Tongue

Honestly most other autistics don't seem to have heard about the level system, which is good because it basically separates "high and low functioning" people.

But I love the idea of "levelling up" and getting to level three. 

Highlighted

Thank you for this thread @hellofriend! I totally forgot that this month was acceptance month!

My favourite thing about being autistic is how awesome I am Smiley Wink Self love for the win!

My favourite stim would be anything tactile, any of the stims you can do sitting still (visual, auditory, verbal) aren't my thing but anything tactile is my jam. From squishing to pulling to swaying to tapping to yeah!

My understanding from where autism comes from is a shrug and a vague "the brain".

And for resources YES STIMTASTIC IS AMAZING!!! There's also another australian store called the Therapy Store, it's geared towards kids but sometimes they have free shipping deals and stuff which is awesome cause they've got some cool things.

I've never heard of that level graph before. I wish I could advocate but I have no idea how to do that, I'm pretty isolated from everything. I'd like to think I'm in appreciation and maybe empowerment, but also I can't tell from how the article is written Smiley Tongue (also, I only read the first couple of sentences from each because who can pay attention long enough to read anything Smiley Tongue)
Highlighted

I love tactile stims too @N1ghtW1ng! So fun (or stress relieving) 😁

I just saw today that there's a leadership program run by Aspect and the autism CRC for autistic adults in Australia who want to make a positive difference in their community. It sounds cool, here's a link to it for anyone who wants more information. htttps://www.autismcrc.com.au/sylvia-rodger-academy/future-leaders