cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Autism

@mrmusic it can be so frustrating when things don't work properly. How did you go afterwards?

One strategy that I found interesting from the article earlier was putting tasks on post-it-notes and on the back writing how many points that task is worth. A certain amount of points equals are reward and you take the post it note down once you've completed the task. Do you think that might work for you in getting stuff done? Sometimes though we just need to take a break.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Perhaps @N1ghtW1ng, although I am definitely burnt out right now, which concerns me, as I know its just going to get more stressful over the next couple of months.

And frankly I am over people thinking I am ‘difficult’. I find it so difficult to stay in control sometimes, and once I’m tipped over the edge into a meltdown, things are just so difficult. That’s why I’m so glad there are people such as yourself and @j95 who through personal circumstance actually get that meltdowns are not a deliberate way of attention-seeking.

I'm not very good with burnout myself but is there anyone you can talk to to help you out (man the end of that sentence feels wonky Smiley Tongue)

I totally understand being over people thinking you're "difficult". You should be proud of yourself for all the times you don't meltdown. Even when you do, you still held on for however long and that is always something to be proud of. Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

First day of Autism Acceptance Month and I thought I would share some of my stim toys and regular stims with everyone. 

I'm going to try and explain what stimming is but words aren't the best so hopefully it makes sense Smiley Tongue Stimming is behaviours that (for me) help deal with stress, anxiety and express emotions. There are a huge range of different types including visual stims, which is from my understanding watching something visually appealing. Like those glitter things or lava lamps or someone playing with slime are ones that I'm most aware of. I'm not sure about auditory stims but they definitely exist. Tapping, making noises are some examples. There's physical stims too. Most commonly associated with asd is rocking and flappy hands. They all help to deal with things and emotions and generally help. 

Stim toys are basically a range of things that help with stimming in general. The fidget spinner is a well-known example because people pretty much ruined it by completely not understanding its purpose but there's more than just those with tangles, squishies, slime, putties and more!

Here are my stim toys!

(side-note: it is stupidly difficult to try and add images to this post so I've given up on trying to add all the individual shots and have this box instead)

29939002_2044314282482664_2040763936_n.jpg

Ta da! We have my favourite giant slinky, a (very) large variety of stretchy animals, some squishies, a couple of spinners, a few tangles(the pansexual flag-coloured one(yellow,blue,pink) is a textured one with different feels(you can kind of see it with the pink) which is super nice and the blue one is shortened to make it fit on my wrist and not easier fall off for a bracelet Smiley Tongue, and there's the purple one Smiley Tongue) and hidden under the animals are a couple of mini slinkies. You can't see it because it's on my desk but I also have a container of putty from Kmart that I freaking love. It's basically become like the large slinky was, something that I can stretch between my hands with the added bonus of being moldable Smiley Tongue

The miniature slinkies though have become my favourite (which you might be able to tell considering there are none in the box Smiley Tongue) and I use them when sitting in the lounge room and at uni. I do use the animals a lot too, I have some sitting in pockets of some of my pants that I wear frequently (for when I forget to bring something to fiddle with Smiley Tongue) which is really nice. 

Also not included is my little leopard kitty affectionately named Coo (like Roo, but with a c because they're a cat Smiley Tongue). He hasn't come to uni with me for awhile now but instead sits on my bedside table and blocks the light from my phone (for when it's on charge)

Most people are rather chill with my fiddle objects. I have noticed people (mainly at uni where it's more observable) stare at me. With one annoying experience where a tutor(sorta) said "a slinky" in a "why do you have that, you're not a child" sort of tone so that was a bit annoying but screw them because I do what I want Smiley Tongue

My parents seem a bit... I want to say condescending but I don't think that's the right word, about it but not so much anymore. Which is nice. They don't care, but it feels like they feel something not 100% positive and/or on board with it. If that makes any actual kind of sense Smiley Tongue

I really want to get some more things from this US store called Stimtastic which has a fantastic range of items. I've got my ideas on a puffer and/or hedge balls, a sparkly weighted crab(to act a bit like the little leopard Coo but probably a bit heavier and a crab! Although I can't decide between a crab and a sting ray... It'll depend what's in stock) and also a little stretchy squishy animal, probably the panda or tiger cub (but the polar bear is cute too!). It's either a moshi type or based on moshi squishy (whatever that is anyway Smiley Tongue) BUT those will be new additions. I also realllly want a metallic purple tangle because I love purple and the metallic ones look SOOO pretty! 

As for my other stims, I rock a lot. Most of the time I don't even realise until I've started that I'm rocking Smiley Tongue It's like your moving to the beat but there's no beat. I love it though and when I've started but stop it's like trying to stop yourself from dancing and doesn't feel very nice. I also clap my hands except I don't like the loud sound clapping makes so instead I stop my hands right before they clap Smiley Tongue Silent clapping Smiley Tongue That's for when I'm excited or happy. Because yay happy things! Smiley Tongue Oh and I shakes my hand, which is mostly in the outdoors Smiley Tongue

This was pretty detailed but I don't mind. Most of these are private to only me and I am happy to share them with you because I think they're cool and I've got to go now byee! Smiley Tongue

This was really good @N1ghtW1ng, thanks for sharing. So glad we have autism awareness month. Be worth promoting at uni for my colleagues.

I’ve got stuff to share as well, but it will have to wait until another time as I’m just not up to it right now. But good on you for being so open about your experience, that’s not necessarily an easy thing to do! Heart

Hi everyone! Smiley Happy

So I've discovered that in addition to April being Autism Acceptance Month, as @N1ghtW1ng posted yesterday, today, 2 April, is also World Autism Awareness Day. This includes a campaign where landmarks, buildings and other public displays across the world will be lit up blue. I think this is a great opportunity to educate people about autism, and the many ways in which it manifests itself in various people.

Some things that people with autism struggle with are repetitive behaviours, which may include speech patterns, use of objects and movement; social interactions, including anxiety related to being in certain social situations; sensory difficulties, which may be either a high sensitivity to a particular stimulus, or a low sensitivity; and communication difficulties, including speech, communication of emotions, facial expression and in some cases not having behaviour which suits the context of the situation. In particular, I want to emphasise that autism can look very different in different people, and the above is only a very succinct summary of some characteristics.

To give you a bit of an idea of my personal experience with autism, I have some difficulty with social interactions, and I guess just feel really awkward socially in general. However, I have noticed that social interactions with strangers are extremely anxiety-provoking for me. I am very sensitive to sound, and cannot deal with a large amount of noise at once, however I do have strategies for dealing with this, including wearing earplugs when I know I will be exposed to a great deal of noise. When I was younger, I used to have flappy hands a lot, particularly when I experienced strong emotions, particularly excitement or happiness, and it still happens sometimes, although I have made a lot of progress in communicating my emotions in a manner which more people will understand, supported by my family and various professionals.

However, there are other people with autism who struggle to communicate verbally in any way whatsoever. From my work in music therapy, particularly placements, it is NOT that non-verbal people are not trying to communicate, in fact, they are still communicating - just not using speech.

Importantly, I cannot stress enough that people with autism - no matter how 'severe' or 'where on the spectrum they lie' are treated with the same respect and dignity that you would treat other people. And that includes making your communication and social interactions age appropriate for people with autism (don't treat people with autism like children when they are adults!).

I hope that this contributed to your understanding of autism, and I look forward to seeing some more initiatives and awareness for people with autism in the future.

P.S. @j95 I'd be very interested in your thoughts in light of the fact you have a younger sister with autism, and have had to act as a carer for her in the past? Heart

Thank you for this @mrmusic I think sharing the below is really powerful and creates more understanding around ASD Smiley Happy

Hey @mrmusic and @Erin-RO I have heaps to share, just typing it out now Smiley Happy 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

To add to that wonderful explanation,

Don't light it up blue. The reason why is because the initiative was
started by an American organisation known as Autism Speaks that is not a
very good organisation. Instead, some in the autism community suggest
lighting it up red instead. Let autistic voices be heard.

Also, it's not a bad thing to light it up blue either. Awareness and
acceptance is super important and here in Australia we don't know Autism
Speaks. But be aware of who you support (which goes for any organisation
really) because while they might mean well, some aren't very good.

Happy Autism Acceptance Day! Smiley Happy