cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Blocked nose

Does anyone have some tips on dealing with a blocked nose? For someone who can't stand the taste of lemon or honey?

Highlighted

Re: Blocked nose

I hate blocked noses but I normally put vicks vapo rub (i think its called) and i rub it under my nose and it helps. A bit itchy but it works. 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

A word of warning - if you have been blowing or rubbing your nose a lot and the skin is a bit tender, DON't smear Vicks on there. It burns like hell!

In my opinion, the best thing for a blocked nose is a saline solution. You can get little saline nose inhalers from the chemist but even better is investig in a neti pot or an irrigation bottle. I got mine from the chemist after I had nasal surgery and it's the best. Feels a bit weird and you have to be careful not to breath in while youre doing it, but it rinses all the gunk right out.

Highlighted

Saline solutions are great and you can buy them quite cheaply at the pharmacy.

Another easy thing I often do is to heat up some hot water, carefully take it to the bench (don't burn yourself!), place a sheet/towel over your head and sniff the steam. Steam will help break up all that yucky mucous that's clogged up in your nose and help you breathe much easier.

Also it's really important to keep very well hydrated so drink plenty of water. When you're dehydrated the mucous becomes dry and hard and this causes your nose to become even harder to unblock. Avoid caffeine if you can because caffeine causes you to pee more and makes you more dehydrated. 

Hope that helps!

Highlighted

Hey and thanks for all the help! Hopefully it'll go away soon!

Highlighted

I've been having the same issue on and off lately (I seem to get sick and then it goes away and comes back...) I'll have to try that, dilz.

And hopefully you're feeling better/feel better soon NightWing Smiley Happy Colds are annoying little things.

o ellebelle ! the neti pot looks so cool. so it reli works? i was thinking it looked like a bit of a gimimick but then all those product reviews on youtube made me think again. i srs have to give this one a go when my nose gets all clogged up.
it's looks hilarious when ppl do it
Highlighted

i was watching this video ad for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOBQcLBxTe4

and they all look so happy doing it. surely it can't be that pleasant llolololololololol
Highlighted

I had two operations on my nose last year (no, not nose jobs! they were to open up my airways for sleep apnea) and the doctor told me I had to use a neti pot twice a day to heal my nose and clear out all that crusty blood and surgery gunk. I didn't have a cute teapot looking one, it was more a squeeze bottle but it worked so well! I still use it every time I get a blocked nose or it's really dusty outside. Or if my cat sleeps on my pillow haha. It does feel really weird, and I'm sure it looks disgusting - sticking a spout up your nostril and having snot come out the other side, but you get used to it!