cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care

I just read something that I wanted to share with anyone who has family members or themselves have or are currently living in the Victorian care system. 

http://thehomestretch.org.au/news/the-most-significant-reform-to-child-welfare-in-a-generation-victo...

Tonight the Victorian Government announced extending the age of out of home care, so young people in the care system will be supported until age21, so they can stay with their carer or transition into supported accomodation until then, instead of 18. 

I spent a lot of time in the system and this is huge as I certainly did not receive this support at age 18 when it finished for me, and I really needed it, and neither have some of my siblings received it . But I hope my siblings who are still young enough to utilise this feel safe and supported for a little bit longer. 

it’s huge news 

Re: Care

Wow @Saltwaterdreamtime ! That is huge news. That is so amazing that they are increasing the age, its sad that it has taken this long for that to happen but it's great its finally happened. Its shit that you and some of your siblings didn't get support when you turned 18, what a huge flaw in the system that somehow when people turn 18 things are just magically ok? Ugh. Ridiculous.

Thanks for posting this, I hope other states follow suit as well and that your siblings are able to be supported by this Heart

@Hannah-RO  Thank you, it wasn’t fair to expect an 18 year old to find their own way when most who live with their parents aren’t expected to, but I’m glad it’s changed now 

I’m so MAD! THIS IS SO FUCKING UNFAIR. APparently this doesn’t apply to my siblings they are in permanent care.

Wow, I am deeply sorry to hear that @Saltwaterdreamtime Smiley Sad It is really sad when young people are forced to go out on their own - 18 years old is still so young and some people really need extra support. That is just so upsetting.. Did you read somewhere that it doesn't include people in permanent care? I would be interested to know why that is the case.

@Taylor-RO I read it tonight. Lots of other people commenting on the article about it. I didn’t know this until tonight. I’m trying to find out.

Also, didn’t mean to sound so aggresive and angry.

@Taylor-RO I have been doing some reading and all the articles say foster care and resi care. Not once in any article is pc mentioned. It’s bullshit.

I know it would be a very upsetting, frustrating and stressful thing for you to find out.. so I didn't think of it as aggressive or angry. Damn it though, I hope it somehow includes people in permanent care. If I am honest, I don't know much about it but feel free to keep us updated here because I would like to know more about it.. including why it excludes permanent care, if that is the case.

It’s ridiculous