cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Sleep Routine

Hey there Smiley Happy

So recently I've been having a bit of trouble sleeping - I've been on melatonin for a few weeks but that hasn't really done anything for me.

@scared01 Has already given me some great suggestions, but I was wondering what other people do to get themselves ready for bed/help them get to sleep. I'd really like to create some sort of structure or routine Smiley Happy

Re: Creating a Sleep Routine

Hey @roseisnotaplant

I am sorry you are not sleeping well. I think its the worst when you can't get some solid sleep, as it effects my concentration and motivation dramatically. 

I try not to look at my phone for at least a half hour before bed, or if I do I put it on the night time brightness. That one is sometimes really hard to stick to though... But I find it much easier to fall asleep without the bright light of my phone shining in my face.

if i think of anything else will let you know Smiley Happy think ive already given you all my ideas haha @roseisnotaplant

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because your WORTH it!**
Highlighted

This is a great idea for a topic @roseisnotaplant - I feel like a lot of us on here might be a bit sleep deprived at times! Smiley Tongue

For me I know that it helps when I go to bed around the same time every night, so that my body gets used to knowing when it's time to wind down. I also find reading a chapter of a good book (or a bad one - might put you to sleep quicker Smiley Tongue) helpful, sometimes it will make me so sleepy I actually fall asleep with the book still on the bed haha. The last thing I'll mention that works for me is to write out a bit of a plan for my day the next day - I'm a pretty organised person and I find this relaxing, and it makes me feel prepared. I'm sure it wouldn't be for everyone though Smiley Happy 

Is there a particular aspect of your sleep routine that is causing you trouble? Or is it more just feeling tired/actually falling asleep? I hope through this thread we're able to come up with some ideas for a structure or routine for you!

@rose13 It's not really falling asleep that's giving me trouble, it's more staying asleep. So idk what to do about that. I like the idea of making a list about what you're going to do the next day, I tend to think a lot about what I'm supposed to do so I feel like that might help me - I'll give it a go Smiley Happy
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/zen-music-chakra-balancing/id597782173 Sleep Music Delta Waves: Relaxing Music to Help you Sleep, Deep Sleep, Inner Peace and Autogenic Training. Relaxing Sounds for Relaxation Meditation, Tai Chi and Reiki. Meditation Music Video, Meditation Video with Delta ...
This guided meditation will gently ease you into a state of blissfully deep relaxation. ......................................................................... If you enjoy our work and would like to support the channel, please consider purchasing one of our high-quality albums: The Elven ...

Ahh I see @roseisnotaplant! Well I hope maybe the list making tip might help Smiley Happy 

What do you usually do when you wake up in the night? Sometimes if I can't get back to sleep I'll put on some guided meditation (I like the beach sounds and calm voice in this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyy0ra2WcQQ) or even sleep music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ6xgDI7Whc - fun fact, I used this to calm myself down on an international flight where we experienced a lot of turbulence, it's quite soothing to listen to!). Maybe they might work for you too Smiley Happy

What do you do when you wake up during the night @roseisnotaplant?

I just try to get back to sleep @Birdeye @rose13 - usually works eventually but takes a while :/

Hi @roseisnotaplant.

Lack of sleep really does suck! Good on you for making this thread. =) 

I have found that the more I think about needing to sleep the harder it actually is to fall asleep and the more stressed I get. So I try to set a time where I tell myself "Okay, now it is time to start going to bed and just lay here to rest." I close my eyes and day dream about stuff I am looking forward to.

I also find that it can be easier to sleep when you tire yourself out during the day! Get active and busy. Use up your day and be productive. You will feel better accomplished and excited about going to sleep for another new day!

That's all I have for now =) 

This might sound a little odd, But most nights, if I'm having trouble getting to bed, or i'm agitated I'll dance before bed. I have enough light that i wont fall over, no mirrors and just me and my favourite songs. It gets me in a 'happier' mood and then my body eventually gets fatigued enough to knock out.

You could try something like maybe a small exercise routine as well! Sometimes, sitting outside helps too... I find with the daily rush we forget how 'still' life can also be Smiley Happy