cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Cultural pride

I'm so enjoying reading all of these posts! Smiley Very Happy Go diversity! Heart

@safari93 one of my best friends is Sinhalese too. I'm a wuss when it comes to spicy foods but having dinner at her place is always such a treat - so I'm totally with you on the awesome Sri Lankan cuisine Smiley Tongue

This is an older thread, but I reckon it'd benefit from some new love. Would anyone like to share their culture with us? Smiley Happy

@lokifishI just found this thread and I have really enjoyed reading these responses! Thank you @j95 for beginning this thread. I found your words when describing your culture really powerful, thank you for sharing them.

I am of Irish descent, a couple of generations back (my family came over during the potato famine) but when I went over to study in Ireland I felt such a wonderful connection and feeling of 'home' that was unexpected and wonderful to experience.

Things that I love:

-The history of Ireland is long and rich, trailing all the way back to the Celtic tribes living in ringforts. Visiting the Hill of Tara was a very enriching and powerful experience.

-The ruins of castles, monasteries, parishes and churches on the side of the road and in the fields. Make a wrong turn and you could discover something much greater than where you were originally headed!

-The rich folklore. Some of it is darker and yes often reflects cultural fears of older times, but some stories are so beautifully woven, it's impossible not to be intrigued.