cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disability Employment Agency

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

So as some of you may know, I’m in my final semester of my postgrad degree, which means trying to find employment next year, once I am qualified. The thought of being unemployed REALLY scares me, and I don’t really know where to turn to for support.

Just wondering if anyone has been linked in with a job agency, and their personal experience? I don’t yet know if I’ll go down this path. That said, in my field (music therapy), many jobs are centred on awareness of the profession, and new openings, as well as existing jobs.

I will also be bringing this up with my professional supports when I next see them.

Re: Disability Employment Agency

Hey @mrmusic awesome question Smiley Happy I am going to tag some members for you.

For me, I also found when I was wrapping up my last degree, any networking/conferencing event you can get to is super beneficial. I don't know if your industry has these but it's amazing what can come from a couple of conversations.

@Bee @lokifish @litgym @ErinsAntics @Esperanza67

Hey @mrmusic! Although I don't know much about finding jobs in your industry, I just wanna say how cool it is that you're studying music therapy. I've taken a unit on Music Psychology before and absolutely loved it! Well done on (almost) finishing xxxx

@Bree-RO That is so true! Interestingly enough, I attended a conference a couple of weekends ago, and that gave a number of great networking opportunities. I’ll see if there are others coming up.

Thanks @gezellig. ❤️

Hey @mrmusic, first of all, congrats on making it to the final semester of your postgrad degree! I hope to be in your position one day (still stuck in undergrad haha)

While I haven't had personal experience with a job agency, I have heard mixed opinions about it, where I've heard from most people in my area that it's better to seek job positions on their own accord. However, having said that, perhaps that view may not be applicable to agencies in your area, and so I guess there's no harm in giving it a go and see how it goes. Although, I do agree with @Bree-RO in that networking with others is a great way in helping you find a position as I know heaps of people who scored positions in the past by doing this.

Perhaps you could also try visiting a careers counsellor/ student services at your uni? I've heard that they also give great advice to students who are about to graduate on how to successfully score positions after graduation.

Good luck! I hope that you're able to find a job as music therapist Smiley Happy

Hey @mrmusic
Congrats on coming to the end of your post grad course!!!

I have experience with disability job service, and overall my view is positive. For me it's been so good in assisting me with gaining confidence in my field (administration/bookkeeping possibly accounting) and within myself.

I think it's a great idea to bring this up with ypur professional supports. I also think it could be beneficial to pop into some disability employ services places and see what they could personally help you with. I know with the place I see they do this.

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@mrmusic the others have already given some amazing support so I don't have much to add, but just wanted to pop in and say that I'm so happy for you, that you've made it to the end of your degree!!! I know it hasn't been an easy road so you are truly awesome and resilient Heart

Hey everyone @Esperanza67 @Bee @lokifish @gezellig @Bree-RO I see my psychiatrist in a couple of weeks, so I guess we will work out a plan of how to go about doing this. I think self confidence is still my issue - despite having worked on it and becoming much better, I still have a way to go.

Thanks so much for your amazing support. Heart

Congratulations @mrmusic !
You've worked so hard!
I completely feel the same way, I've always had a plan, always known what my next step in my career was and then now I have no idea what will happen next year.
This used to frighten me but now it's kind of exciting! I may not know what the future holds but I know that we are passionate about helping others and what we are studying and learning and I know this will guide us to where we want to be.
So please don't lose hope Smiley Happy It has taken some of my friends a bit of time to find a job/internship/placement but they have gotten there in the end and they are really happy.
Please keep us updated!

Hopefully you and the psychiatrist can work out a plan @mrmusic Smiley Happy

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart