cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you know anyone who goes back to study in mid / late 20's?

Do you know anyone who goes back to study in mid / late 20's?

How do they manage their work, life and study?

I'm 25 and I want to go back to study (uni or TAFE) in few years.

Re: Do you know anyone who goes back to study in mid / late 20's?

Hi @carlosleekw,

Great question! If you are happy for me to, I am going to flag your question with our builders team who may be able to provide their insights and tips from their own experience, or the experience of those they know! 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

Hi @carlosleekw that's awesome that you would like to go back to some form of study. 

I am currently a university student myself and there are many people that do not begin their studies until later on in life, that is completely normal! I find university (I assume TAFE would also be the same) to be really accepting of individuals of all ages! 

It can be tough managing work, life and study and it would definitely depend on your specific circumstance. While I am still in my early 20s, I manage by working part time in retail (providing me with just enough money to get by/pay bills etc) with my full time studies. If this is not suitable for you, I know friends that study part time so they are able to still work full time and receive a decent wage so this might be something to consider as well? I find that as long as a I stay organised and stick to a schedule I have a good balance of work/life/study. 

It also really helps having a great support network surrounding you. Whether that be family members or friends, it is a helpful to surround yourself with people who will support you in your studies! 

I hope this may help in some way! Smiley Happy 

hey there  @carlosleekw  - such a good question. 

Thanks for bringing it up! 

And excellent reflections and response from @lr8991 - its so very true that a lot of people do not go to study until they are in their late 20s, as it often around then that people feel sure about what they are interested in studying and doing for work. 

I am one of those people! I went back to uni in my mid to late 20s, and it was absolutely the right choice for me. 

Balancing work life and study can be a challenge- I agree with the suggestions above about working part time. 

I would also suggest studying slowly - part time study is much more manageable with work and other life commitments. 
There is no rush to finish studying, and there is no point going into poverty or extreme stress to get there quickly. I think it's much better to slow the pace down, and find a routine that works for you.

I hope some of this is useful! 

You might want to go check out a thread we have for uni students over here - they often discuss issues around balancing everything and dealing with stress. 

Thanks for the reply!!!

My situation is kinda special and different as I'm not even an Australian...yet

(I know what you are thinking, I'm not Australian but I'm going to Australia, hope I can become one one day)

I'm turning 26 at the end of the year and before I go back to study

I'm gonna do two years of working holiday first, save up as much as I can

And I'm already 28 by the time I'm ready to go back to study.

Highlighted

Hey @carlosleekw, I knew a few people on working holiday visas who saved up money by working for a year or two before heading to uni, because tuition fees for non-Australian citizens are crazy expensive, right? It's insane! So I think your plan of working to save money for a bit before heading back to study sounds like a great idea and totally achievable Smiley Happy

Good luck with everything! Feel free to get back in touch with us if you need Smiley Happy

I agree with @Esperanza67 I think working to save up some money is also a great idea! Many of my friends have decided that they wanted to have savings (or go travel and then save up again) before going to uni so I think it is a very wise choice. 

As I said previously, universities here in Australia are very accepting of all individuals no matter their age Smiley Happy Do you have an idea on what field you would like to study in?