cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dream job as a kid

Hi guys! I feel like a lot of you will be going through the motions of figuring out what kind of career you want to have.

This can seem like a crazy big pressure on you because school always seems to be geared towards you making your minds up ASAP!

This thread can be used as a breather from all that stress, the decision you had as a kid doesn't always affect what the future will be and I think its important to remember that as teens.

You dont need to have all the answers all the time, and you definitely dont need the perfect answer.

I wanted to be a Vet for literally forever because who doesnt want to work with animals? got turned off that idea as soon as i figured out I would have to be cleaning up after them and it included cutting into them and that they were going to be poor sick babies Smiley Sad

Another job I obsessed about as a kid was being a Flight Attendant, but my hopes for that were pretty dashed when I realised my mum was only 5ft and I was probably going to be the same.

At the moment i'm on the pathway to being a Psychologist and couldn't be happier! Smiley LOL

See! look how crazy my journey was, tell me yours! Smiley Wink

Re: Dream job as a kid

I love hearing about the career paths people end up taking - a lot of the time we end up going in directions we never would have expected!

I've always dreamed of working in healthcare. When I was 4 my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer which made me determined to become a doctor, then in high school I started considering radiography, then psychology and have finally settled on nursing/midwifery Smiley Happy

I'm really into books and movies so I've always wanted to be an actor or an author. I'm currently studying Psychology, but I'm in the middle of writing a book during my spare time. I don't care if it's successful, but I enjoy writing it!
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

@AprilScarlet!

When I was little I wanted to be a doctor or I wanted to be a celebrity Smiley Tongue

The dream to be a doctor was diverted when I realised blood and surgery makes me feel squeamish! 

I'm studying to be a psychologist now so I guess it's similar in a way though! Smiley Tongue

@AprilScarlet I've wanted to be an astronaut for as long as I can remember. Although I realised a while ago that it wasn't possible for me to be one. I get horrendous motion sickness and there is no way I'd adjust to space travel! Man Tongue

I've now decided to study community services at TAFE and I'm loving every minute. I'm leaning towards becoming a disability support worker but I'm also interested in exploring the mental health side of things.

These are so interesting!!
When I was really little, I wanted to be a famous soccer player until I realised women's football is literally unrecognized. (It's still fun to play)
Then I really wanted to be an astronaut too @Persephone!
Now I'm interested in paramedics and any kind of work where I can help people 😁
(But any opportunity to go to space and I'm outta here! Smiley Tongue)

When I was really little I wanted to be a full time dog walker Smiley LOL
As I grew up I decided I wanted to be a Vet but was turned down from studying this at university as I didn't complete the prerequisite topics in high school. I am now studying psychology and it turns out I am really good at it and absolutely love it, much more than I would have loved being a vet for sure!!

hiya@GG-DD!! Thats such a nice journey! I love looking back at the big and the small decisions that lead me to where I am now and its just so funny! Its so great that it didnt deter you when you got turned down and managed to find something that you really love! woo! Psych buddies Smiley Very Happy

Hey @Alison5! Haha hopefully Mars becomes a thing in our lifetime, would be so cool! Im sure they will need paramedics Smiley Wink

Hey there @Persephone! maybe your body would love an intergalactic type of motion better? who knows Smiley Wink thats so great that you are studying community services at tafe and loving it! the best stories are when people end up doing something they love Smiley Very Happy