cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dumplin' Movie Discussion: Finally a movie on body positivity!

Dumplin_004.0.jpgFinally a movie on body positivity aimed at young people!

Dumplin' (based on the book of the same name by Julie Murphy) is about Willowdean (or Dumplin' as her mother calls her), a girl who isn't a size zero and has struggled with her weight who decides to sign up for her mother's (played by Jennifer Anniston) Miss Teen Bluebonnet beauty pageant after a family tragedy.

What start's as a small protest and a way to challenge how people see her (and break the beauty pageant mould), eventually grows when other contestants follow in her footsteps revolutionising the pageant in their small Texas town. 

This film will really stick with you long after you have watched it and the body positivity message is something everyone should be reminded of. At times in the movie Willowdean struggles with her body size but after some help (from an unexpected place) she accepts herself for who she is and goes on to give a pageant performance that no one will forget. 

Discussion questions:

1. What are some ways we can be body positive, especially on those days that we are particularly harsh to ourselves? 
  2. Dumplin' is movie with a positive body image message. Can you think of any other films that have this message? 
  3. What's something we can take away from Dumplin'? 
  4. Willowdean found help in an unexpected place, have you found or received help from an unexpected place or person? 

Dumplin' is streaming on Netflix and has soundtrack made up of classic Dolly Parton songs and a few new ones, which will have you singing along throughout the film.

If you want to learn more about body image and ways to be body positive, check out ReachOut's resources here and here. You call also contact the Butterfly Foundation for information and support Heart

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Re: Dumplin' Movie Discussion: Finally a movie on body positivity!

I haven't seen the movie, but this thread is looking a little lonely so I thought I'd give it some love Smiley Tongue

What are some ways we can be body positive, especially on those days that we are particularly harsh to ourselves?

I think it's okay to have 'fat days' or whatever you want to call them. Part of being human means that we're not going to be 100% happy all the time. It's important to remember that those thoughts and feelings should eventually pass (if they don't then it's a good idea to talk to someone Heart) I think it's also useful to focus on function rather than appearance. For example, I may not always like how my legs look, but I can appreciate that they allow me to walk and get me where I need to go Smiley Happy

Dumplin' is movie with a positive body image message. Can you think of any other films that have this message?

I always loved Shrek as a kid because it teaches us that we can be 'ugly' and still find true love/happiness. Fiona even chooses to stay an ogre when she could've become 'normal' again

Willowdean found help in an unexpected place, have you found or received help from an unexpected place or person?

I continue to be amazed at how open people often are when you start a conversation with them. It seems as though everyone has their own mental health story to tell - sometimes you've just gotta be brave enough to share a bit of yours first Heart

Curious to hear everyone else's answers!

Hey! Keen to answer these questions but I'll do it later tonight or tomorrow I don't think I'm up to it right now -thins Ian a really important discussion!

Discussion questions:

What are some ways we can be body positive, especially on those days that we are particularly harsh to ourselves? 

We can think of those who inspire us who have obvious "imperfections" yet still go above and beyond in their achievements. 

Dumplin' is movie with a positive body image message. Can you think of any other films that have this message? 

Shallow Hal is an absolute classic comedy staring Jack Black who sees people according to their values. He falls in love with an over-weight woman who has a beautiful heart but no-one else can see what he sees.

I, Tonya is another great film that comes to mind but because of her achievements despite her total lack of support from her mother

What's something we can take away from Dumplin'? 

To challenge societies stigmas and don't be held back from what you could achieve.

Willowdean found help in an unexpected place, have you found or received help from an unexpected place or person?

For the majority of my childhood, I did not have a good relationship with my mother. After my son was born, I moved in with her for the support as I'm single. We now are very close and I never thought we would connect. 

1. What are some ways we can be body positive, especially on those days that we are particularly harsh to ourselves? Hmm, I reckon everyone's said it all. Self care can really help you take your mind of  all that negativity. We shouldn't compare ourselves to anyone else because that will only fuel more resentment/negativity. 
  2. Dumplin' is movie with a positive body image message. Can you think of any other films that have this message? Some movies that come to mind are 'hairspray' and maybe even Pitch Perfect. Not to many so this movie is pretty awesome in that aspect.
  3. What are some ways we can be body positive, especially on those days that we are particularly harsh to ourselves? I think one of the main things to do is being able to accept yourself for who you are and not worry/care what other people look like comparison to yourself. Don't be scared to be different - 'Why fit in when you were born to stand out'?
  4. What's something we can take away from Dumplin'? really love what @dncinginthedirt said: 'To challenge societies stigmas and don't be held back from what you could achieve.' You put that beautifully Smiley Happy
  5. Willowdean found help in an unexpected place, have you found or received help from an unexpected place or person? Ermm, one of my teachers was really sweet to me and I didn't think that was possible because she was, well, a teacher Smiley Happy