cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Exercises to control tears

I tend to cry a lot, most of the time unintentionally.
Does anyone have any methods of stopping the tears rolling? Just before I cry I get a lump in my throat and sound different most of the time I cry even if I try really hard no too..
Are there any suggestions on how to stop this? 😭

Re: Exercises to control tears

Hey @cordial99 - interesting post! I wonder what the rest of the community think... @roseisnotaplant , @j95 and all the  crew maybe you could help us out with this one?

My main trick is visualisation. I visualise something super hilarious or a funny memory, sometimes I will also focus on one thing i.e. a flower, the sky or best of all my breathing. However crying is a super important thing to do when you're up for it, as it's a natural detox of emotion, helps us clear out the pent up feeling and allows us to be human  Smiley Happy

Hmm. Sometimes for me I'll drink some water and that'll help, or like @Bree-ROsaid concentrate on breathing or something. Not sure though, what does everyone else think?

@cordial99 I'm sorry things are tough and you feel like crying a lot Smiley Sad Sometimes I find it is actually helpful just to let myself cry...find a bathroom or somewhere where I won't be disturbed and just sob for a bit. But I agree that breathing and drinking water (or tea!) both help. Or sometimes I find it helpful to repeat phrases or words that I find reassuring. Sometimes it can also help to talk to someone - call or text a friend and have a chat if you feel like you can. 

@cordial99 I'm a loud and proud cryer, so no shame in crying from my perspective, male, female, young, old, whatever! It can be really healthy and helpful to let the feeling out. But I agree it sucks feeling sad and like you want to cry all the time. For me, if it's not an opportune time to cry, I generally, swallow, take some deep breaths and try to think about something else, ideally something good, happy, funny or completely unrelated. 

Hey @cordial99 I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this a bit lately. Like others have said, it's totally okay to cry, especially when things feel overwhelming. Deep breathing, visualisation, drinking tea/water and removing yourself from the situation can all be really helpful strategies. Do you think you could give some of those suggestions a go next time you feel that way?

You mentioned that sometimes you cry without meaning to - I'm wondering if you could tell us a bit more about what's going on?

This is a really interesting topic. I think if the tears are a genuine emotional response then perhaps that release is needed and worthy however I understand that sometimes it feels odd to cry in public or at small things. My partner will cry at the drop of a hat so she has begun trying breathing excercises to control the tears.

Nothing wrong with having strong emotions though. Its important to remember that - its the thoughts that accompany those emotions that you can work with to help guide yourself. I still can't watch the Lion King without fast forwarding THAT scene and I've been watching it for over 10 years..

I understand how you feel, I'm someone who is quite emotional while incredibly insecure about showing tears around other people. If you are by yourself or with people you trust, I think it really is helpful to let yourself cry, there is no shame in that.

But sometimes when you are in a situation where you don't feel comfortable crying, what I think helps is either visualising something funny (I think of a funny scene from tv show Parks and Rec), singing an upbeat song in your head, or to do some deep breathing. 

Combine all 3 for maximum results Smiley Tongue

Hey @cordial99

I certainly agree with everyone else that often the best way to tackle unwanted crying is to let yourself cry everything out, maybe not at that moment but if there's ever a time when you're alone and can take some time for yourself you may find that your body really needed that release.

Similar to that is looking at tackling the things that may be making you so ready to cry.

But for stopping it and covering it up in the moment, visualising or thinking about good/happy/funny things and finding anything else to distract and change your feelings often works. Another thing if happy things aren't at your disposal, aside from breathing you can look up and try to keep your head upwards. Our instinct is to hide, but it sort of encourages or allows the tears a lot more than physically looking upwards does.

Hey @cordial99, everyone's given some pretty awesome advice.
For me, I allow myself to cry. And funnily enough, when I say to myself "it's okay, I can cry" and I take some deep breaths I stop crying. It's kind of accepting that crying is something I need to do and taking deep breaths as I let myself do it.