cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fear of Missing Out (FoMO)

I seriously suffer from fomo, like big time! I graduated high school last year and have had a gap year this year, just working and trying to figure myself out but seeing my friends go off to uni and get full time jobs really makes me feel like I've missed the memo you know? Like I'm supposed to be doing more with my life but I'm not. I'm always seeing my friends hanging out with new people and doing cool things but I can never join because money is a little tight at the moment. Fomo is honestly such a hard thing to deal with Smiley Sad

I experienced this a fair bit over the last few months actually. I've still not yet been to a music festival and it used to bother me, but not as much any more. Coming from such a sheltered family, my parents never really let us engage with friends outside of school - the focus was so heavily on school and it was tunnel vision from there on it.

Over the last few months I've rekindled with a high school mate of mine, and admittedly, I went to my first house party at 24years old! Since then, I've made up for the FoMO of my young teen years.
A lot of social anxiety was involved too though, I was almost phobic of embarrassing myself, hence I actively avoided a lot of events.

Also, personally, I'm easily affected by social media. My friends have all travelled. When I wanted to, my mum said no and now with a 4 year old I desperately feel like i'll never experience travelling like my friends have. And it's quiet a frequent thing too, because even in conversation people tell you all the amazing things they've done, or are going to do and a voice just goes "i wont be able to do that #FoMO"

mostly though, i like to give myself perspective. I've had experiences. not the same as everyone else, but my own. and i will get so many more opportunities that missed out ones wont matter so much. Missing out, also gives me the chance to decide if i  really  want it and why.

Also:  great post and good luck with your thesis. i hope its not too stressful and the nights aren't too long for you. 

@Mayaa99

This is exactly why I wanted to study it. I really want to help people who feel it. Social media exposes what everyone is doing but it's so important to remember that (for most of the time) people are creating their online identity and often it seems like it's perfect but it's very curated. 

You have so much self awareness, everything you said is so true. You have had experiences, and you've grown from being aware. It is so true, you will completely have opportunities. We're all on our own awesome paths Smiley Very Happy

Also thank you for your kind words! 

I'm sorry to hear that @smileymiley

FOMO is so pervasive and really tough to deal with. I feel like a large part of it is comparing ourselves to other people, it's really hard when you see it all on Facebook and social media. It sounds like you're going on your own path though! 

Do you do anything that helps you deal with it? 

I found that if I spend less time on Facebook, I felt a bit better from it. 

Highlighted

@missep I usually just try to get out of the house and do something, even if it is just by myself. it makes me feel like less of a hermit crab haha. I like the idea of being on facebook less, I definitely feel like social media contributes a lot to my feeling of being left out. Thank you for the suggestion!

@smileymiley that's a good idea! There are some weeks that I'm inside my house most of my time studying everyday so I totally relate in the sense that going out and just doing something makes me feel less like a hermit haha. 

No problem! There are also ways (I'm pretty sure) to turn off notifications from what people are posting so if you go on Facebook to specifically see new stories or memes or anything then your Facebook feed can be tailored to what's best for you and not going to make you feel FoMO Smiley Happy

What an interesting thesis topic @missep! Can definitely see how there might be a link between anxiety and FOMO. Keen to hear about your findings when you've finished! Smiley Happy

I definitely suffer from FOMO too - most often regarding travelling or going out when I am at home. My FOMO is going strong at the moment as I still have a few more weeks of intense exams and assignments and everyone on my social media feeds seem to be partying it up/doing fun looking things! I think I should probably stop looking at it Smiley Tongue

Thank you @May_!

Ah same, especially when we have to focus on studying and people are posting so much on Facebook! During this time I really only go on messenger to talk to people and try not to look at the Newsfeed too much. 

So far I've found significant relationships between social media use -> depression, anxiety and stress and also significant relationships between FOMO -> depression, anxiety and stress! 

This is so me Smiley Tongue

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Me too. 

I'm glad I've found a topic that relates to so many people @N1ghtW1ng! Hopefully I can think of ways to help reduce the feeling of FOMO