cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Feeling bad about reaching out for mental health support

I agree that a lot of adults don't understand the challenges that young people face @Love_elmo77. I'm sorry that your parents don't seem to have a lot of empathy. Smiley Sad It is not just about finding a job, it is about issues such as social isolation, being unable to access supports due to restrictions and other valid issues.
I have been through similar things with my own parents. They would say things to me like, 'What do you have to be depressed about?' I think that reaching out for support is a taboo thing for many cultures and older generations in particular. I don't think that wanting to talk to a counsellor is anything to be ashamed of and should be considered as a sign of strength.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquisy i wished my parents saw that reaching out for mental health support was something to not be ashamed about and be supportive if i decide to reach out for mental health support, tried to understand what challenges young people go through these days, wasnt so concerned about getting a job more than anything else
Highlighted

that makes a lot of sense @Love_elmo77 and I'd definitely feel the same way Heart

Highlighted

I'm sorry your parents aren't very supportive @Love_elmo77. I guess it's hard for them to adopt a different perspective than the one they grew up with. After all it can't be easy changing something that's they have believed their whole lives!

I study a mental health-related major and volunteer a bit in the field, and if there's one thing I have learned, it's that mental health support is designed to assist with all kinds of concerns, not just huuuge ones. Some people even come in just to grow and be a better person/parent without having specific problems. Some come in because they want to stop procrastinating. Reaching out for support when you need it shows courage not weakness, and you don't need to wait until you're at the end of your rope to feel worthy of support Heart

Highlighted

Hey Love_elmo77

I totally get where you are coming from - mental health can feel like a taboo thing to talk about, especially with those who might be closed off to the discussion. So, I wanted to 'spruce things up'.

For me, as an aspiring young psychologist and mental health advocate, there is nothing more BADASS then taking ownership of your mental health. In my opinion, whilst some mental health conditions are definitely more distressing than others, we all have issues in some way. Our minds are sponges and soak up all kinds of ideas throughout life, which can form troubling perceptions of who we are. I personally struggle to believe anyone gets out of this process without some baggage.

So, for me, those who engage in talking about their mental health, with a therapist or a friend - or on Reach Out, are in many ways engaging in the most enriching life possible. Understanding mental health is a real thing that impacts us all and working to find out who we really are and why we may have the conditions we do (anxiety, depression, etc) allows for a much richer, engaged life than a one where someone may deny mental health is a problem.

If you feel like you would like to open up to someone about anything mental health-related, I would trust your instinct. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@November13 yeah it must be hard for my parents to adopt a different perspective than the one they grew up with....
Highlighted

@Abderian that has been really helpful after reading what you wrote & also makes me not feel bad about reaching out for mental health support