cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Job

Hey guys,

So I'm going for my first job on Friday at KFC. I know it's not the most exciting place to work but hey, we've all gotta start somewhere Smiley Tongue I'm curious about everyone else's experiences with starting work for the first time.

How old were you when you got your first job? Where did you work? What advice would you give a 16 year old entering the workforce in 2013?

Smiley Happy

Re: First Job

I got my first job when I was 17 working for subway which was awesome fun Smiley Happy. Position title: Sandwich Artist haha.

Advice which I'd give is that it is only a job, don't get too attached to money, which will seem like heeappps at the time.

Hey Loki,

Great idea for a topic!

I didn't get a job till after I finished high school. My first job was a delivery driver at Dominos (seems as though most of us started out at fast food places!). Still can't believe mum let her 17 year old daughter deliver pizzas at night! Totally not a safe job! My brother was also working there at the time.

Advice... Be yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of something. Smiley Happy

Good luck!!!

hey, wow congrats on getting your first job!!

I had a bit of an unusual start, I got my first job when I was 14 (still in year 8!) at my ice rink, as a 'skate patroller' basically I skated around and dealt with stuff on the ice, like picking up little kids who feel down, can't say it was the best job in the world, but I got major arm strength!

The best advice I can give you is to make friends with your co-workers, your first job is never particully interesting or great, but having friends and people to chat to can make a boring shift (there will probably be a ton of these!) bearable, and a crazy one fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and smile at everyone on your first day. Also for the first couple of shifts you are probably going to be exhusted, and it may take you a while to really get everything, so give it a bit of time. Ohhh and enjoy yourself! 

How old were you when you got your first job? Where did you work? What advice would you give a 16 year old entering the workforce in 2013?

I was 13 when I got my first job.

I worked at a nursing home - giving out food and at times feeding the elderly and doing dishes afterwards and lots of kitchen hand

I think stick it through, my job was horrible at times but I stuck it through for 2 years and when people see on your resume that you are committed and dedicated then they are more inclined to hire you and also enjoy it, regardless of how bad it can get, there will be moments you enjoy so enjoy what you can Smiley Happy 

I started tutoring music to primary school kids when I was 13, then started working in an ice-cream shop when I was 14. My advice: your job may suck at times, but stick with it (within reason, of course). The experience will look good on your resume when you want to find something more exciting than working with food. Focus on the positives of working - independence, money, giving back to the community, being a part of the economy, etc. I've met some amazing people through the jobs I've had over the years - sometimes they're the last place you'd expect them. Enjoy, and good luck!

Great topic!

My first ever job was gift-wrapping in the lead up to Christmas at my uncle's pharmacy when I was about 12/13. After that I started doing some coaching at school holiday sport clinics for primary school kids (when I was about 14), and once I finished high school I was eventually employed casually by that same sports centre doing sports administration.

For me it was really handy to get jobs via people I knew. In fact, every job I've had until the most recent two, I've got because I've known someone in the business/organisation etc.

I'd say, remember that it's just a job. Sometimes it might seem crappy, but it's only a small portion of your day. Although, if it's REALLY crappy, it might not be worth it, and you can always find something else Smiley Happy

I guess, try and seem keen and eager to learn. It always helps if you're on your employer's good side Smiley Wink

Highlighted

I was a sandwich artist at subway as well (it was an awesome first job- sandwich skills are life skills.) I believe I started when I was 15.

My main advice is be on time, enthusastic, and make work fun.

How is KFC? Good work on getting that job lokifish!

I was in year 11 when I started to work for my dad's friend. It was a fast food, family-owned take-out. Honestly, I hated it. The owners put so much pressure on me. Told me I have to serve the food in a certain way, clean the equipment that way. It scared me to try for another job after I quit 2 months later.

My second and present job is at McDonald's.

My advice is - Have fun! Do your best on shift, help your team mates when you can. Don't worry about those fussy and rude customers. Do your part and you know you have nothing to worry about.   

I think I was 15. I got a job as a checkout chick at my local supermarket. I ended up working there for 7 years, I was at uni when I finally left.

I guess my advice would be - be polite and friendly, and that's what you'll most likely get back from your coworkers and your customers. Also when you do that, the nice customers will totally make up for the occasional rude customer. If you're in the middle of dealing with a horrendous customer, remember that at the end of your shift, you'll be able to laugh your arse off with your coworkers about what a twit that customer was. Knowing that can help you get through it!

I guess my other advice is: figure out what you want to do with your pay. I didn't really have anything to show for 7 years of my part time job, but other people bought cars and other stuff. So I'd say - think about what you want to use the money for, maybe you'll want to save up for something.

Oh, and one last piece of advice. And it's a bit embarrassing. When I got my job it was pretty much the first time I had my own money and I worked at a supermarket so I could buy junk food. So I did... a lot. I put on a lot of weight, actually. Maybe don't make that mistake either. Smiley Wink

Good luck and have fun!

blithe