cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap Year: Yay or Nay?

It's a hard discussion and one massive decission once you've graduated from school.

I decided against a Gap Year only because I wanted to get all my education out of the way. But I look back now and would have loved to work, save and travel. I can still do that but having a break would have been nice. But I also love that I'm graduating this year and have finished study.

So let's brainstorm some pro's and con's for a Gap Yea, I've gotten us started. I'll list them all here as you guys post.

And share your thoughts and stories: Yay or Nay?

Pro's

• Well deserved break after 10-12 years of study.
  • Time to work out what you want to do in your life or your next chapter
  • More money from income if you work during that time
  • Can go see the world (or some at least)

• Life Expereince

Con's

• It can be hard to motivate yourself during a gap year.

• Might take longer to get into the career you want due to delaying studying
    • Hard to see your friends who are studying
    • Loss of direction

Here are some useful websites I've found about Gap Years for anyone who wants to research into it Smiley Happy

What to do in a Gap Year?

http://www.gapyear.com.au

Why a Gap Year? (UK Blog but raises some good points)

http://99percentblog.org/2012/03/22/the-university-dilemma-a-defence-of-gap-years-and-some-useful-li...

Re: Gap Year: Yay or Nay?

@Snowflake: I agree. I really wanted to just get through my studies but I sometimes regret not having taken a break either before uni or sometime during it (I still could because I'm still studying but I just want it finished Smiley Tongue). 

I guess some pros and cons are:
Pros: 

-Can go see the world (or some at least)
-Time to work out what you want to do in your life or your next chapter 

-More money from income if you work during that time

Cons: 

-Might take longer to get into the career you want due to delaying studying

There are both good and bad things about taking a gap year and it's up to each individual to decide what they want to do.

On the plus side, it gives you life experience and a break from all that studying. On the down side, it may mean you find it harder to get motivated to go back to studying after a gap year, and it can be hard to see that your friends may be a bit ahead in their studies. People also may find they get a loss of direction during a gap year.

I didn't take a gap year and went straight to uni. However, I was terminated from the first course I attempted in the middle of the year so spent the second half of the year just working. Then went back to uni and started a new degree in occupational therapy.

I didn't take a gap year straight out of High School, but decided to take one a year into my degree- it was the best thing I ever did! I got to explore working more and enjoying being a teen! I went back to studying after the gap year and currently have another 5 years of studying ahead of me!

I;m all for the gap year, whether it's straight after high school or after you have begun a degree! Smiley Happy

@Lightuptheworld: Do you feel as though you have to get a job once you graduate? I'm about to graduate and I feel like I won't have time to travel- enjoy what I could have during a gap year.

"There are both good and bad things about taking a gap year and it's up to each individual to decide what they want to do."- Cassie

@Cassie

I love that you said that, cause that's how I feel. Do you have any advice for young people who may not have that choice?

My parents made my brother go to uni straight after highschool and it was the worst decsion for him. He dropped out because he really need a break from study.

I was going to do OT as my degree but I hated science during school. I ended up doing a double degree in Creative Industries and Human Services: LOVE IT!

Also I your point about not being able to see your friends cause they are studying. Did you find that you felt a little disconnected from those friends who chose to work full time? Th

@Daisy: I pose the same questions as @Lightuptheworld: Do you feel as though you have to get a job once you graduate? I suppose you've had the chance to experience time off. I wanted to do that but I really wanted to finish my degree ASAP haha. What do you feel you've learnt from that year?

I'm currently doing my gap year..

I wasn't keen on the idea, at first. I just wanted to go straight to uni.

I got accepted through early entry, so it was really easy to just defer for a year (or two).

I'm not really doing what I wanted to do... things like traveling and stuff (although, I'm hoping to go to NZ in December). I'm mainly saving up and spending far too much time with my friends. 

I think, though, that saving all this money will be worth it. I see my friends struggling with money issues at the moment, and they all wish they got to work for a year. So I'm quite excited to see how I cope next year.

Having this gap year has also given me time to really think about the future. I actually have the time to plan and think ahead without the stresses of school or uni. Having [more than enough] time to research the course, that I've chosen, has made me so much more determined and excited.

To sum it all up, I'm (now) a supporter of gap year/s.

I did a bit of a compromise with my "gap year". I took 6 months off after I finished high school. Initially it was meant to be 12 months but I got bored so went back after 6. I'd definitely recommend taking 6 months off (which is really equivalent to 9 months if you include Christmas holidays). 

If you are tossing up between a gap year or not, I think 6 months is a great way to do it. Smiley Happy

I didn't take a gap year, but I ended up taking a semester off to travel for a couple of months. You don't need to take a full year off to have amazing experiences, you can even do it in the summer break if you plan it well. I love every minute of travelling and I do not regret doing it at all.