cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Gay Teen Chat

Yeah @Ani_Faeth, I completely get that. I feel the same about telling my sister, I think she'll be fine but I'm not sure, and anyway the idea of telling anyone else is, as you say, very scary. I have no designs on telling my dad either! Don't feel pressure to tell anyone before you're ready, this is one hundred percent your thing. I told my mum before I was ready and I regret it now, but I am glad she knows I guess. Yeah I totally understand, it is really unpleasant hey. I'm not sure if this is your type of thing, but Headspace does an LGBTQIA+ group chat every Tuesday evening from 6.15 til 9.15ish, and people just chat about random stuff as well as identity related topics. Everyone on the chat is either an ally or a member of the LGBT+ community and it's a really supportive and friendly environment. It might give you extra space to talk about how you're feeling with other people going through the same stuff (:

Highlighted

Hi @TawnyOwl !  Cool, I'll have to check that out!  Also, I love your username...  tawny owls are the best!  Yeah, I told my mum a couple weeks ago, before I had sorted it all out, and I'm regretting it now, but as you say, at least she knows, right?  How're you going?

Highlighted

@Ani_Faeth thank you so much! Yeah I loved owls, especially tawny owls,  since I read Guardians of Ga'hoole about ten years ago (wow, it really has been that long! Crazy.) I like your username too! Smiley Happy
That's interesting that we're both in the same boat about telling our mums too soon. I just blurted it out one evening in a moment of "why not she's my mum", and even though she was supportive (in fact she just said "yeah" and said she'd thought that since I was about twelve...) I still kind of regret it for the same reasons - I'm still a bit frazzled about it all and in an ideal world perhaps I wouldn't have told anyone yet. But it's not tearing me up too much - she was going to find out sooner or later so yeah it's just as well she knows. I'm all good thanks, actually had a pretty alright day! Just cruising along (: How are you going with everything?
Happy pride month by the way everyone Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Hello @Ani_Faeth, it is great to see the support that you and @TawnyOwl have been providing to each other. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling terrified about telling your dad. That must be really difficult for you. Hopefully you get to chance to talk to him when you are feeling a bit more comfortable. It sounds like the relationship that you have with your friend is really great. I am glad to hear that you felt comfortable enough to tell them. The LGBTQIA+ group chat that HeadSpace runs sounds like it could be a great experience, I hope that you find this to be true Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@TawnyOwl Sweet!  Yeah, I really don't think my mum expected it...  but she hasn't said anything else about it, so I think it's fine?  Yeah, I had a good day!  Finished a ton of assignments on time, so I'm really happy about that!  I honestly didn't even know it was pride month!  Do you still like reading?  It's one of my favourite things to do!  I love fantasy and sci-fi.  I haven't read Guardians of Ga'hoole, but I think I've heard of it...  it rings a bell.  

Highlighted

Hi @Sophia-RO! Yeah, I'll probably tell my dad when I'm ready, it's just not the right time yet I guess. Yeah, I'll have to check the HeadSpace site out!
Highlighted

Hi @16James !  How're you going?

Highlighted

@Ani_Faeth Ah okay well that's good! My mum has made a couple of jokes about it but other than that she just kind of waits for me to bring it up if I want to which is cool. I asked her to lay off the joking stuff though cos my head is still a bit like "WAH what is going on!" so I'm not really in the head space to be kidding about it I guess.
Yeah I found out about it from a friend, so I'm just secretly like "yay it's pride month" haha
Yeah I love reading! My favorite books are 'Sophie's world' by Jostein Gaardner, 'Rose under Fire' and 'Dark Matter' by Michelle paver. Dark matter is kind of fantasy in that it's got some ghosty stuff happening. It's quite scary! What are your favorites?

Highlighted

@TawnyOwl Yeah, I get what you mean!  I haven't come out to anyone at school, but every time someone makes a 'gay' joke, I sort of cringe inside, you know what I mean?  I literally didn't even know dark matter was a thing!  Is it sort of like horror?  I love the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, The Ender Series by Orson Scott Card, and the Shadowhunter series by Cassandra Clare.  I've also recently gotten into some of Bryce Cortenay's books, which is a whole new genre for me, and I quite like them!  I've read some historical fiction, but not much, so his books were all quite new for me, but they're really good!  I just realized I've been scrolling through reachout forums for like half an hour and now I'm super tired...  I'd probably better get to bed...  bye!

Highlighted

@Ani_Faeth Hey! So glad you had a good day yesterday, it always feels great to get assignments off your back hey. 
Yeah I totally get cringing at gay jokes - my school isn't exactly what you'd call supportive of diversity, and a lot of such jokes get made.One of my friends is very religious and for a while was super against LGBT+ stuff - she was upset when the plebiscite resulted in a yes etc, and we're quite close so it's a bit awkward. But she's more okay about it nowadays so that's good! How do your friends react to conversations about sexuality, gender identity etc? 
Yeah, I guess you could say Dark Matter is horror, but it's not gruesome or anything and the supernatural themes are quite slow burn until you hit the middle (then it gets quite scary haha). It's also the most beautiful and saddest love story! But I'll say no more, I don't want to ruin the plot for if anyone here wants to read it! (Please do it's great!) (:
Ooh I must admit I haven't read any of Bryce's books, but I've heard of him and his style of writing and he sounds really cool! When libraries re-open I'll definitely check his books out! 
Also does anyone have any ideas of how one would tell their friends that they're gay? Not sure how to broach it (: