cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Girl Stuff

I’ve just been diagnosed with pmdd (pre menstrual dyshporic disorder) which is the most extreme version of pms. It makes me completely miserable for the better part of every month and It’s really difficult to deal with. I’ve been prescribed birth control pills to see if it fixes the problem, but my mum won’t let me take them because she’s worried that I’ll get sick like she did. I don’t know how to explain to her that I really just want to try, because if there’s a chance that it’ll make me feel better then I feel like I should do it. What should I do? 

Re: Girl Stuff

That's a really difficult situation @Starlight03 

I guess it's trying to find a way to express to your Mum just how bad things are for you and then perhaps having the doctor or Psychiatrist go through all the treatment options (the benefits and side effects) with you both?

I'm just about to head off for the night Heart but maybe our members have some advice on how to have difficult convos with parents?

@Starlight03

Im so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, PPMD sounds stressful, but I suppose it's a good thing to know what you're dealing with so you understand it and yourself a little better?

I'd sit your mum down and speak to her about her concerns, maybe involve the doctor in this discussion so that your mum has some professional assurance about the medication. Also reassure her that you will come off it if you feel that there are side affects that you are feeling.

Personally, I agree with your suggestion that you should try it, because it can work very differently for each person and you also need to address this from a medical perspective. Your mums concerns are valid and she's just worried and wants the best for you.

Maybe have a chat with the doctor about support groups orsearch on facebook for a support group that might help you talk to your mum about this?

Thanks @Erin-RO and @Mayaa99, I think I will definitely try that. I used to see a psychiatrist for anxiety and I didn’t really like it very much, it made me uncomfortable, but I think finding a support group of sorts is a really good idea. My parents don’t allow me to have Facebook or any social media like that, any other ideas as to how I can find a group like that? I have tried explaining to her that I will stop taking it if I have side effects, and she says I can do whatever I want but she doesn’t support it, which is bad because I really feel like I need her support with this. 

Hey @Starlight03, sorry to hear that your mum doesn't support you taking it Smiley Sad. I understand that you need her support with this. Like @Mayaa99 has previously suggested, perhaps you and mum could have a chat with your doctor where your doctor could provide reassurance and answer any questions your mum has? Maybe that could increase the likelihood of your mum supporting you?

That's unfortunate to hear that your parents don't allow you to use social media Smiley Sad. The only other way that I could think of that might assist you in finding a social group is through googling any social groups available in your area. Or... are you studying at school or uni/TAFE at the moment? Perhaps you could join one of the clubs and societies offered by them?

@Starlight03

I'd suggest maybe, if you could, see another psychiatrist - usually the relationship between Dr/patient can be why its so bad, and from experience, going back is healthy.
Head down to your community centre or give them a call, let them know that you're looking for that sort of group. Maybe just browse online, you might be able to find a forum or something that could help?

I understand it's difficult to do this alone, and it might feel like your mum isn't supporting you, but at the end of the day she's a mother and she's always going to be there for you. She won't support the fact that you take medication, but she will definitely be there for you if and when you need it. I'd suggest again, do talk to your doctor to get some more assurance about what the side effects could entail. You're a strong girl and as scary as this is, it will be ok - It'll take time, but you're going about this in the best way possible and im just gonna say it's an admirable thing. Keep your chin up, your mum will come around soon enough hopefully!

Hey @Starlight03 wondering how you went with this?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee, I’ve on holidays overseas so I haven’t been able to find the right time yet. 

That's understandable @Starlight03

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart