cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health scare: Important to check your moles!

Hi everyone! 

Recently I found a new mole on my scalp and I got very worried. The shape and colour looked a bit irregular and I was concerned about the potential of melanoma. I booked to see a doctor straightaway. To my relief it was completely benign but it made me realise the importance of getting freckles and moles checked! In Australia the sun is so strong so it's important to protect ourselves from sun damage and be safe. 

Heart

Re: Health scare: Important to check your moles!

Really glad to hear it was just a regular mole and that you're ok @missep! Extra high five for being proactive with your health. I never even think of checking my scalp for moles, since y'know, it's covered by my hair - but a very important reminder. 

Thank you @ElleBelle! I was really glad as well! I just always took health for granted and it’s in times like this when it’s really important to get professional advice Smiley Happy

Better safe than sorry, plus most mole check clinics will bulk bill Smiley Happy

I actually had an indented mole and it was in an awkward spot (upper middle back) so I couldn't really keep an eye on it and in the back of my mind I felt it could turn into cancer at any moment. So after a couple of years of not being comfortable with it (though the mole check place didn't seem concerned) I ended up getting my doctor to remove. Thankfully it was sebaceous cyst gone wrong with a mole on top of it but still better safe than sorry, I now have nice line scar in place of it but it was worth it for peace of mind. 

What I found annoying was in the waiting room at the mole check clinic was that I was the youngest by 15-20 years and it shouldn't matter what your age is, we should all get regular skin checks! 

That's so good you got it checked just in case @ErinsAntics! You can have peace of mind now. I completely agree, I think a lot of people think that only older people get it but anyone can! Like you said better safe than sorry Smiley Happy

hey @missep i know exactly what you went through. i had 2 surguries to remove the tissue that was affected by mine. im so glad yours came back benign!!!! 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because your WORTH it!**

That's so tough @scared01! I'm glad that it's past that now for you. You're so sweet, thank you!

Hi @missep Smiley Happy thanks for the health reminder! I noticed a few tiny moles that have recently appeared and thought maybe they're okay but I think i should get them checked soon in case!

I am so glad everything was ok with you in the end @missep I can imagine that was scary! 

This is such a good reminder post of how we should be wary of checking our spots and moles, especially with our Australian sun being as strong as it is, so thank you for sharing! Smiley Happy

That's a good idea @cupcakes_032! Smiley Happy I'm glad this post reminded you to think of them!
Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here and click "start a topic"

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 1 member 250 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors