cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hi everyone, I'm back.

Can someone please tell me how to change my password on here?

@Taylor-RO @WheresMySquishy @Lost_Space_Explorer5 @TOM-RO @Hannah-RO and anyone else I missed, sorry

There should be a forgotten password button I think @musicfan_xo? On the sign on page?

I'll have a look, thank you @Lost_Space_Explorer5 

Hey @musicfan_xo , how did you go with changing your password? 

Also just wanted to say that it is really nice to have you back in the community! That's awesome that you've clocked up a year with your psychiatrist and found a good and supportive GP, it can take a long time to find health care professionals that you click with, but it can be a total game changer. Really happy for you! 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2020 here

Hey @Janine-RO , I didn't end up changing it, it's ok.

I wanted to write something here to keep it to 1 thread of my own, am I allowed to & tag members who commented here please?

Hi @musicfan_xo , 

Thanks so much for checking about that, really appreciate it! Everyone who's in the thread will already get a notification of a new post in this thread so you may not need to tag everyone- but if there's anyone you want to specifically ask about anything, it's fine to tag Smiley Happy 

Thanks @Janine-RO , I'll post it shortly. I'll either check back if anyone replies today or tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow.

Hi all.

I'm so sick of having these nightmares, basically every night, sometimes 2 or 3 times a night, different nightmares. I don't even think of scary stuff or watch scary stuff, they just happen. They're extremely graphic (I would mention it but I can't and don't want to trigger anyone), and they feel so real, like I feel lost from reality, as in "has this happened? will it happen, to me or someone else? will I do this?"

I try to tell my GP and Psychiatrist, and yes my Parents are aware, but the professionals just say "take this", I haven't yet because it's used for something else but it's known to be successful especially in Veterans.

I've been told I need therapy, so a Psychologist I guess, but as I mentioned, I'm not having any luck. And that would be VERY triggering for me, certain things more than others of course, to bring up and "process" I guess, whatever the therapy involves.

And like I said about the Mindspot course (this is just my experience, I'm not trying to put anyone off trying it), they were rude & told me I was lying & wanted attention, when I do have PTSD & heaps of evidence.

I want to tell my GP & Psychiatrist the details of these nightmares, but I don't want to be locked up or reported or something & have them think I'm crazy. So I keep most of it to myself.

My PTSD stems from bullying my whole life online and in person, losing my Grandparents (Mum's parents, Dad's passed away before I was born) in 2013 (Nana) & 2015 (Grandpa), and this guy I used to like in high school when I was 14 (year 8). The nightmares seem to be about this guy the most, the one last night was, but it can be about all of it.

I never dated this guy by the way. Please help. I'm so sick of having these nightmares and being scared, insomnia is bad enough and this makes me scared to go back to sleep.

If you read this far down, thank you.

Hey @musicfan_xo 

That sounds so awful, I'm so sorry this is happening Smiley Sad nightmares can really affect your day and stay in your head long after you've woken up, its a horrible feeling. And keeping things to yourself can be so draining, thank you for sharing with us.

I'm sorry you're not having any luck finding a psychologist and the course sounds like it was an awful experience for you. You said that you like your GP at the moment, could  they maybe refer you to a trauma-informed psychologist that you could chat to? 

In terms of getting to sleep, I find sometimes listening to chill music (mostly Enya) before bed helps could you try something like that? Like a relaxing activity like colouring in?

I'm sorry to hear about the losses you've experienced, it devastating when loved ones pass and it must be so awful having these nightmares connected to that loss. Thank you for being so open with us, we're here for you Heart

Hi @musicfan_xo , 

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here as well - I was just going through some old posts and I found a service that Jess suggested to someone that sounds like it might be really helpful for you, she's also had some good personal experience with it so I thought I would share her words here: 

I thought I might share a resource I have found really helpful to help in those moments when the nightmares or flashbacks get hard. Have you heard of Blue Knot and their helpline before? They are a service that support to survivors living with some of the feelings and experiences around PTSD- in fact, supporting people living with PTSD is what their entire service is dedicated to. I have used this helpline before and found them really helpful when flashbacks occur- they talked me through what is happening and were there to support me step by step to use grounding strategies Heart 

I know helplines aren't for everyone, but thought this might be a helpful resource for you if you want to give it a go - you've shown so much courage in opening up about the feelings you're having, and having help from people who are really skilled in the area can be a real game changer.