cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know if you're taking on too much?

Hey. There are some things that I've been contemplating taking on in the next couple of months that I know I will enjoy and will be great experience for my personal development and skills. But I just don't know if it's going to be too much. I don't want to get overwhelmed and also have less time to be able to do things I need to do. If I do this thing I'm going to need good time management amomg other things. But how will I know if it is a good idea or not? I don't want to let certain people down by not doing this thing either. It's a little frustrating.

Thoughts?

Re: How do you know if you're taking on too much?

Hey @mspaceK, I think this is a really important question, and one that's actually been pretty relevant for me lately. I think your point about time management is a really good idea - I would also add being observant and being aware of any signs that you might be burning out. Its easier if you already know what it feels like to be burning out, so that you can take time out when you need to.

Also, if other people are relying on your commitments, maybe let them know as well that you have other things going on - at least then you'll have less to explain if you do start struggling.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks @safari93. This thing I want to do potentially starts in about September/October and right now I'm coming off a burn out already. I've deferred things at uni and reduced my workload shifts to help me feel less overhelmed by everything.  My gut is telling me to take a break. I just don't want to let people down either. But it is still a couple months away so i may be okay. I'm just unsure at the moment. 

In my experience at least, if my gut was telling me to rest it was usually before I actually crashed. I don't fully know your situation (and you don't have to explain it all if you don't want to), so I don't want to tell you what to do, but I still think it might be worth considering how you could get some time to rest while you do have it/when you're able to get some time

Hey @mspaceK, great question. It's one I often ask myself as well. For me, it's been about learning that it's okay to say no, and I can't let the thought of upsetting/disappointing other people stop me from drawing my boundaries. If your gut is telling you to take a break, I'd say taking a break might be the way to go.

It might even make you more effective/efficient at the other things you do, because giving yourself some time off/away could allow you to feel more refreshed and energised. What do you think? 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

I think you're both right @letitgo@safari93. I'm not going to dwell on it anymore right now until I have to and when that time comes I think I know what my decision will be. I just gotta stick with it and not feel bad either way. thanks. 

I have a work friend who expects me to cover for them a lot and I've been running myself into the ground by doing it. 

I think they are taking on too much themselves because they are always saying how they have so much on and they are getting sick because of it and I think this person is running their-self into the ground. They have 3 jobs and uni and outside of school/work commitments..

It's making me feel overwhelmed. :/ I don't think I can do this anymore. I also don't know how to tell them either. I want to be responsible and a good co worker and I feel like i'll be letting them down if I don't cover. Smiley Sad But I don't want to get overwhelmed and sick again. I'm in a really good headspace and I don't want to push myself right now. I just don't think it is a good idea if I push myself right now... not when it is going to effect my motivation, concentration and uni grades/attendance too. hmm. 

I can't ignore it. I'm stressed and anxious about this more than I want to be. I know I can get through this because I am determined to try. But it if effecting me. I can feel it. I keep overthinking it !!! I'm trying to tell myself to stop. But how can I when I get a pang of unease everytime I see I have a text message because I'm worried it's her. And every week or day I'm stressed about the next shift I might have to cover. God there is so much internal conflict over this. Am I being selfish? I just want to stand my ground and say No I am unavailable and stick to my boundaries about how much I take on. But then I hate myself because doesn't a good worker put in a little extra here and there? What is unreasonable to expect of me? What is reasonable? 

The whole thing and work at the moment just makes me want to quit my job entirely :/ yet that won't solve anything. 

I can't sleep yet. I'm trying to convince myself to look at this positively. I'm just so frustrated and tired of going through this...just cause uni is going back and i want to be committed to that. I don't want work to consume my life!! 

Gosh I needed to get that out. Hopefully tomorrow I can look at this a bit clearer. 

Hey @mspaceK I'm glad you're able to vent on here a bit. It's great that you're trying to be a supportive co-worker by picking up all those shifts for someone else. I'm getting the sense, though, that it's taking quite a toll on you, and that's definitely not good.

Have you been able to get some proper sleep over the past few nights?

I want to reassure you that you are NOT being selfish. You have every right to prioritise your own wellbeing and to say no to all these shifts. Could you maybe explain to your co-worker that you can't do it anymore via text or email, rather than face to face? 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hey @letitgo. I don't know what I'm going to do just yet. I've been trying texts. 

I'm so out of sorts at work atm.