cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How to meditate?

This has all been super helpful. Thanks a lot! You're quite experienced with it, eh?

p.s. Forum troubles? Pop a message in the Feedback forum. Someone should be able to answer it (it might even be me!).

I'm loving these suggestions. Thanks for all the links _sagira_ - I'll have to give them a go sometime Smiley Happy

@Lex wrote:
This has all been super helpful. Thanks a lot! You're quite experienced with it, eh?

p.s. Forum troubles? Pop a message in the Feedback forum. Someone should be able to answer it (it might even be me!).

haha...experienced no, I'm a rookie but I've been doing a lot of reading and research on it and it's all been really helpful for my own understandings.  Smiley Happy

EDIT:  No problem Georgie Smiley Wink

I find it really hard to meditate, but I love it so much.

I use apps on my iPhone sometimes, they really help a lot. They play really relaxing music and sometimes talk you through what you should do. Love them! 

What a great thread!

@Georgie - please tell me more about your week in India!

Lex you ask some good questions - is meditation a singular act? I think meditation is - but it's practice for mindfulness which as Sagira says can be practiced anywhere.

I always found meditation hard because I thought you had to 'think of nothing'. My brain races about 1000hrs a second (24/7) so this is impossible. But as soon as I was told to let thoughts surface - and let your mind "herd them" - that was a breakthough Smiley Wink There was a really good blog but I can't find it, so I found another image for you:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/51/03/63474164882559/0/chill-out-and-get-enlightened-newbies-guide-me...

You have to force yourself to sit beyond the figgety stage! Ten minutes can feel like a long time, but when I'm finished I feel a clear head, and calm, and I feel like all my thoughts have been teased out (a bit like the roots in a pot plant). Or it can be akin to having all your cards/thoughts/to-dos laid out calmy in front of you.

I think the first decisions is do you like guided meditation (someone talking to you, often with visualisation) and quietness. 

There's good apps (Med Bells) and I love meditate.ly but no longer have a group to practice with. *sob*

I've been inspired to meditate by impressive people in my life - people with so much going on work/business/life-wise that always seemed calm.

You might want to check out mindfulinmay.com also - I did it this year and it was awesome. Good to try and up yr habit of meditating but also some great links, different methods, some food for thought.. and an Australian accent  for the guided meditation Smiley Wink See @mindfulinmay 

And @sagira thanks for the whatismeditationreally link.. I love this video "what meditation is not". The monk had me laughing:
http://whatmeditationreallyis.com/index.php/lang-en/dare-to-meditate/item/17-8-what-meditation-is-no...

@AllyEm wrote:

@And @sagira thanks for the whatismeditationreally link.. I love this video "what meditation is not". The monk had me laughing:
http://whatmeditationreallyis.com/index.php/lang-en/dare-to-meditate/item/17-8-what-meditation-is-no...

I really want to take part in the meditate in May challenge.  I think it's a pretty awesome thing to be a part of.  So did you do it yourself this year?

And yes, the monk's are all quite amusing, but their messages offer a sense of real clarity and understanding.  I find them quite engaging.

@AllyEm - My friend and I spent a week at this yogic health centre called Kaivalyadhama. It's also a college for yoga teachers, and there's an ashram there too (I think), but the idea is that you can stay there for a week or longer if you have a sickness or ailment etc, and use a combination of yoga, diet, naturopathy (massage, mud baths etc) to improve your health.

My friend and I went there for a week, both in good health, but just for the experience, and it was pretty awesome! You eat the most healthy food, and do morning kriyas (like cleansing exercises), 2 yoga classes and 2 naturopath treatments per day, plus an evening activity like lectures on various topics or meditation (when we did tratak).

You can also choose to do an Ayurvedic program instead, which seemed pretty full on (there was another Australian girl there doing this while we were there). I'm not sure that I'm completely sold on using yoga alone to treat illness, but I felt so super healthy after a week there, so at the very least I think it's probably quite good for you! You get a medical from a doctor, and talk with a dietician at the start of the week, so they seem pretty serious about it!

Their website is here if you want to have a look at it.
http://kdham.com/

You can look under 'healthcare', and even see the weekly schedule. Super-good value too (being India). It only cost us like US$200 for the entire week - food, accommodation, massages, classes, everything!

(Promise I'm not being a salesperson here, it was just a pretty cool and unusual experience Smiley Happy )

Georgie, that sounds really cool! I'd love to try something like that. Might have to find something closer to home though...

Oooh I forgot about this thread #mybad

@_sagira_ yep I did #mindfulinmay this year. Coincidentally I was away in Bali for the whole month. Even then I found it hard to meditate daily which was a valuable lesson because back home I'm telling myself I'm too busy. I think sometimes we expect exercise or meditation to be easier if "xyz" but it just takes committment! 

You are spot on about the monks! There is a local monk Dawa, whom I try to see at various meditation sessions around the coast. I went to one today... I always feel so changed from his clarity & wisdom. He's awesome! 

@Georgie - sounds like an amazing experience! Did you travel in India much? I was contemplating possibly going for something work-related.. not sure that will happen but it got my mind ticking over! I've been to Sri Lanka - that's as close as I got!