cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m in tough situation here.

I don’t know what to do ? I have a friend how has been having harmful and suicide thoughts. She’s getting the help she get get but sometimes my friends and I worry what we say to her and she has been snapping at us for no reason when we haven’t even done a thing. I feel like I’m trying to be there for her. when I tend to hang out with people that have negative energy then I have negative which is not what I need at the moment. We have informed teachers about this and they have called her parents but I can’t be around someone who has negative energy then I have negative energy. I’m feeling a bit stress and emotional about this whole situation and I don’t know what to do. I love hanging out with this Friend but she’s gotten me to the point where I can’t hang out with her because she has depression and I don’t want to get all depressed too. 

Re: I’m in tough situation here.

Hey there  @Dleehy2002!

That does sound like a really tough situation. Smiley Sad Sometimes people with depressive thoughts can have mood swings. This was something I struggled with myself. It helps to not take her snapping at you personally.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to be around her. A doctor thinks one of my family members has depression and it's really hard to be around them. They are constantly saying negative things and complaining about everyone and everything. It's hard to have a conversation with them without them bringing up issues. If you still want to hang out with her, you could try not responding to what she says and then changing the subject.

But if it's having a negative effect on your own mental health, there is nothing wrong with avoiding her. Sometimes, being around someone who is depressed can make you feel depressed too. It's okay to take a step back and look after your own mental health. My main rule when supporting others is to ensure you are not putting your own health at risk by doing so. It can be hard not being able to support someone who clearly needs help, but in the end, it is not your responsibility. The person usually has to want to get help in order to get better. You could try explaining to her that you really value her friendship, love hanging out with her and want to keep supporting her, but right now you need to take a step back because the way she is acting is making you sad.

Well done for telling the teachers about her behaviour and the thoughts that she's been having! That was very brave. It shows how much you care about her and want to look out for her. Smiley Happy

If you're still keen on keeping the friendship with her, this article might be helpful.

Hi @Dleehy2002
I completely know how you feel, I have experienced situations like that. It sounds like you are a very empathetic and caring person, in that case you can tend to absorb the other person's feelings and energy. Like @WheresMySquishy has mentioned, there's nothing wrong with avoiding her because your mental health and wellbeing is really important. Would talking to her about it help at all? Or maybe if she was to ask you what was wrong or why you are avoiding her it might give you the opportunity to be honest and explain your point of view? Make sure to take care of yourself though, it sounds like you really care about your friend but it's really important to make sure you're doing okay.

Hey @Dleehy2002 how are things going? It's been a few days since we've heard from you. 

Highlighted

@Dleehy2002
Must be really hard for you
How are you feeling at the moment
Everything ok?