cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I really want to do well in this assignment

Hey R.O

Okay. I do Business Studies yeah and well, we were given a group assignment that is worth 50% of our grade. Whenever I do a group assignment with either a friend or a totally random person, I end up doing the work. No one contributes and it legit sucks. I am so sick of it.  Last term, I had to do a assignment on legal and pretty much, I did the whole assignment. i WAS SO IN STRESS THAT I END UP REDOING TEH ASSIGNMENT BEFORE THE DAY IT WAS DUE!!!!!!!!!!! My friend did some of the stuff but its obvious she didn't put in effort and i had to change it.

My friend didn’t do anything, no effort from her whatsoever. I got a decent mark though and got a merit award in result but she got the merit award too although I knew she did absolutely nothing.

That friend of mine is in my same business class. I love her but she acts like a freeloader sometimes.  It really kills me.  She doesn’t contribute much nor puts effort – she usually goes on her phone – either texting or gaming.

Another friend, who is my friend’s bestie is similar to her. I sit with both of them in business and they most of the time talk and laugh. It annoys me but I can cope it. They even copied the way i designed a powerpoint for biology and didn't even say it. I got really agro cuz i spent my time on designing powerpoint presentations alot and it kills when someone steals your designing concepts without even asking! I don't mind if they asked but they didn't which makes me more angry!

So back to the assignment, it was kinda confirmed that we are in a group cuz we usually do. but I don’t want to work with them because I know they will put the workload on me.  So I decided to work with two other girls who are better than them in some aspect and I told them today. They seem fine with it but I still havn’t talk to one of the other girls about it.

Any advice? I can’t tell if I solved this problem or not….. (TROLL FACE)

Thxs a load,

Doni99

Highlighted

Re: I really want to do well in this assignment

Hey @Doni99 

I can totally relate with feeling frustrated with group work and not having anyone pull their weight! It's even more frustrating when people receive the same mark as you and they didn't put the effort in to deserve it either Smiley Indifferent Have you spoken to your friend and group members about it? Some people really need a push to get stuff done. This could be assigning tasks to everyone from the beginning, making it really clear that without these completed; nothing else can go ahead. 

If it's really getting on your nerves, I really do suggest that you contact the lecturer, tutor or co-ordinator of the course or topic for some advice. In most cases, they are supportive and I bet that if you explain to them what's going on, they'll understand. I believe that they see this stuff going on all the time.  I had this scenario in French throughout the semester with a speaking assessment. It was a group task and our third group member was really slack - they didn't do anything and never showed for practice. We ended up talking to the course co-ordinator about it and it was solved in a good 10 minutes. I remember afterwards, this group member would just glare at us like we scorned them, when really, it was their undoing. 

Sometimes, even though you'd like to keep the peace, I think that you've got to do what's best for you. If you feel that you're lucking out on a grade that you deserve through hard work, it's better to talk it out with a staff member and what you can do about it, rather than feel angry and disappointed that no one in your group is taking this assignment seriously. 

Hope this helps and let us know how you go. 

I sympathise completely @Doni99 - I have always hated group assignments for that exact reason - one person ends up doing all the work. One thing that might help is drawing up a task list at your very first group meeting so every person is officially responsible for something. For example, you might take responsibility for the powerpoint design and writing the introduction, another person might do the research on one part and find all the images, etc. At least that way if the assignment falls down in one particular area, you can approach the person and ask them to fix it up.

Also, just for a laugh i found this graph:

Highlighted

Thank you guys!

Your advice really made me feel much better! I appreciate your kindness! Smiley Happy

High Five me if you say "Your Welcome!"

Highlighted

Its so annoying when you feel like the only one putting in effort and everyone who was mucking around in your group gets the credit too!

Its good that they said that its fine you went with another group - maybe just see if they mention it again? It could be fineSmiley Happy

Its hard to do but sometimes we need to put things that benefit us in the long run over slight possibilities that someone wont like it in the short term

Well done for doing what is right for you!

Highlighted

Thank you @hartley_ 

Thank you for the awesome feedback and understanding - Yes someone understands! Smiley Tongue

I am now glad I went with another group because now the two friends (who usually don't do anything) has to the do work and learn from it rather than me doing everything. I am proud of my decision as it will benefit them because they need to face the fact that they cannot rely on people.

A bloke joined my group, it's cool. We have a good idea on the assignment, we are thinking of selling "noodles" for our market day! Smiley Happy My group mate has a aunty who owns a noodle factory, she'll be supplying the stir fry noodles which is yummmmyyyyyyyyyy! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks mate Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

@Doni99 let us know how it goes! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hey @Doni99 

How did it go?

Highlighted

That graph is so true. So, so true. <rofl> Omg, I just want to smack my head on the wall because it's so true. Thanks so much for sharing it, ElleBelle!

I'm in the same boat - thus why I turned out to become such a bossy person. I'm not anymore due to lack of self confidence (plus I know being bossy won't help ;D). I might speak out later about my group work issues too, thank you for speaking out. (I don't want to take over the thread).

Best of luck on your noodle project, I'm so glad for you that it's getting better!

Highlighted

how did i miss that amazing graph!!!!