cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I want to study psychology!

@Wolfie_

Hey! Thank so you much for your words of encouragement, I really appreciate them. The current problem is that a lot of places are not taking volunteers this year due to corona virus restrictions limiting the number of people in the workplace and due to there being limited work opportunities for even employed individuals. however I love your suggestion to go onto pages who are now psychologists, thats such a smart suggestion! Thank you so much I will definitely check that out Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@JullyBean Oh I know your frustration I had so many amazing volunteer opportunities, work opportunities and short courses in the works for this year and none of them have come to fruition because of everything. Feeling for you!
Highlighted

@Tay100 So child psychology was an elective option at my uni- the only two electives I ended up taking were psychology of human relationships and applied child and adolescent psychology. These are the two areas I'd be most interested in working with! My second degree is law and I've been looking into possibly doing mediation and a course in dispute resolution (except they're sooo expensive Smiley Sad). I also have to be honest and say that I was told by friends that the child psychology subject was quite easy Smiley LOL

@Wolfie_ thanks for all of your suggestions about volunteering, you're an angel!  @JullyBean It was mentioned on another post that some universities will be less strict about their volunteering requirements because of COVID getting rid of a lot of opportunities. It's going to be difficult to find things but I'm sure we'll all make it work- we made it here after all!

Highlighted

@StormySeas17 hahaa child psychology seems deceptive that way, hmmm? I hope you can do the law courses, or find cheaper, more accessible versions! What does the psychology of human relationships involve? Haven't heard of that one!

Highlighted

@Tay100 It was basically about a whole different areas of relationships, like attraction, sexuality, friendship, communication, betrayal, family etc. It was really interesting, particularly the parts explaining how relationships break down and the problems with them. For example, talking about how flawed partnerships are common and talking about the different types of arguments, like mind-reading and kitchen sinking. It was really informative for my own relationships and to understand things like divorce and 'relationship rules'. I might even list the seven we studied:

1. Share news of success with friend
2. Show emotional support
3. Volunteer help in time of need
4. Strive to make friend happy when together
5. Trust and confide in one another
6. Stand up for friend in his/her absence

This honestly really helped me realise that I had some really toxic friendships in my life. We also learned about the five most damaging beliefs for relationships which cause breakdowns:
1. Disagreement is destructive (arguing spells trouble!)
2. Mindreading is expected (you should just know how I feel!)
3. Partners cannot change (we’re stuck with this problem)
4. The sexes are different (and will never get along)
5. Sexual perfectionism (jealousy of other couples)

If you're interested in this stuff it's super cool to learn about! I stole these from my old notes Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

@StormySeas17  wow, thank you for sharing all that! that's fascinating! Much more niche than general social psych! I like the advice too, thankyou!