cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I want to study psychology!

@StormySeas17 wow I'm a little late on this train, just wanted to say I enjoyed each and every one of your responses @A_Friend  @marlee @JullyBean @Wolfie_ ! I too am a psych enthusiast and hope to begin my clinical pathway next year...if the world is not too cry still?

A question: how does everyone's passion for psych intercept with their own mental wellbeing? do people find themselves using what they have learnt to help improve/look after their mental health?

Highlighted

Psychopathology would be so interesting. My favourite subject has been criminology, i haven't done a psychology elective unit but I think the diversity disability and social exclusion unit will be very interesting and next year i hope to a bit more mental health type based units. I would love to learn some child and adolescent psychology.

Highlighted

@Tay100   I think my passion for psychology was grown through seeking to improve my own mental health for myself when I couldn't afford to get professional. But now I would say I use it to improve my mental health and assist to improve others as I learn more. How about you, is your mental health inter-related to your passion for psychology or has your passion for psychology affected/improved your mental health?

Highlighted

@A_Friend that's so wholesome, it's great when our passions can be of help to us- I'm sorry that you weren't able to access a psychologist though.

I think for me it's the same, studying psych has made feel more empathy, less alone, and more empowered to handle life's challenges!

Highlighted

@Tay100 that's so exciting to be considering the clinical pathway! Here's hoping that everything has calmed down by next year and we can get started!

I definitely agree that the passion for psychology also translates to a passion to for my own wellbeing and how to identify why I feel the way I do! I like being able to sit back and analyse my own thoughts/behaviours in an attempt to understand how to make myself feel better and improve my wellbeing. The same goes for using some of the learnt techniques to be a better listener and support to my friends and family! 

Highlighted

@Tay100 thanks, I agree that studying your mental health/my mental health issues has made me feel very empowered and less alone these communities also definitely help with that.

Highlighted

@A_Friend couldn't agree more!

@marlee yesss I use the empathy and listening skills for my loved ones all the time! It's a really nice feeling you can go the extra mile to help them, and make them feel supported.

What psych pathway are you thinking of going down? 

Highlighted

@Tay100 I definitely agree! It's nice that it goes both ways - they feel supported and valued and we can feel good knowing we are helping our loved ones Smiley Happy 

I'm still a bit undecided on which psychology path to go down... it can be very overwhelming! I think my plan is to apply for clinical masters for next year and then tackle what area I really want to focus on. I did my honours thesis on body image and the impact of 'fitspiration' which I found really interesting. 

How about you? Do you have a particular area of interest? 

Highlighted

@marlee im much the same as you, wanting to do clinical masters next year. I recently finished my thesis too. Whew, what a journey! Did you write your thesis during the pandemic?

Highlighted

@Tay100 Congratulations on finishing your thesis! What an achievement, and it's the best feeling once it is all submitted and you can see all your hard work written out! I actually completed my thesis last year so I was lucky enough to not have the added stress of completing it during the pandemic. Now we just have the masters application process to look forward to woo hoo Smiley Wink