cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I want to study psychology!

Hey @StormySeas17 I have heard of the butterfly foundation but I'm not sure how I could go about working with them. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to initiate collaborating/working with foundations such as the butterfly foundation? They aren't taking volunteers at the moment Smiley Sad
Highlighted

Hey @Tay100

I definitely yay to use what I've learnt to look after my own mental health however I didn't get the opportunity to learn too much about that kind of thing in my whole 4 year degree including honours! This kind of upset me by the time I got to the end and I really wish I learnt more. I have recently been benefitting from meditation and exercising for stress relief (and not weightloss!!) which has been quite groundbreaking but is something im still struggling with (but I am seeing someone finally to work on this). I have found that even seeing someone hasn't given me too much tangible help, like I just want examples of ways to challenge my negative thoughts for example because I often just let my negative mindset take over when i'm having a bad body image day.

Does anyone have any tips about what I can do about this?
Highlighted

Hey @marlee!

I'm wondering whether I should study a graduate diploma in counselling next year because I don't feel ready to jump right into a masters of clinical psych without any experience as I've come straight from high school into this degree. Since you're applying for masters I was wondering if you had any idea about what type of work I would benefit from to get some experience?

Highlighted

Hey @JullyBean ! 

That is exciting that you are considering the grad dip in counselling - I am also considering applying for that course along with the clinical psych masters, I just want to get starting in something so I can finally start my career! It seems like it would be a good place to start and a bit more hands on which I like the idea of. 

I feel like I am actually in quite a similiar situation to you - I went straight from high school to undergrad and then honours. Last year was my first 'gap' year where I went travelling and did a little bit of volunteer work, and 2020 was meant to be when I start my masters but unfortunately I wasn't accepted! My goal is to apply again for this year and hope that I have enough work/volunteer experience to be considered now and that maybe they will be a bit more lenient with experience given COVID has really messed things up haha! 

In saying that, from those I know who have gotten into the masters course, they have had mainly volunteer experience with places like HeadSpace, Lifeline or working in school programs. 

I have also tried to keep in contact with my honours supervisor doing some research assistant work which I hope will be looked at favourably! I've also heard that support or disability work is a good place to start as well! 

I do think it is quite difficult right now to get into contact with volunteer organisations - I have made a few applications recently but they have all been put on hold because of COVID, it's a really challenging time. Maybe you could look into more online counselling or over the phone counselling? 

Highlighted

@marlee

Thats so cool that you had a gap year and did some travelling! Thats what this year was meant to be for me but unfortunately due to covid I haven't been able to Smiley Sad

I have heard that masters courses generally accept people with "life experience" which is why I thought I might get out and collaborate/work with different organisations for a few years before applying. This sounds like what you have done so hopefully you get accepted this time round, good luck!!

Thats cool that you have stayed in contact with your supervisor, it sounds like you have been working really hard! Unfortunately I really want to steer away from the topic I did in my honours but I'm not sure where I can even start when it comes to working with people in the area I'm interested in, it seems like there isn't a lot out there in the city i'm from linked to promoting healthy body image, which is why I think it would be cool to start a program that looks at this but I kind of need some experience to gain any credibility Smiley Sad
Highlighted

@A_Friend a disability unit sounds awesome! Please do consider child and adolescent psychology- it's very enlightening Smiley Very Happy

@Tay100 I wanted to answer your question about how my mental health intersects with my study. I guess I've never thought about how it could be a positive influence? I usually end up playing therapist for most of my friends just using the facts and stats I've learned in class so I usually see my learning being used outwards! I've also been able to use my knowledge to understand my own bipolar disorder- that being biopsychology, which was a very confusing but enlightening trip down through google scholar! Empathy I suppose is also a trait I've grown myself Smiley Very Happy and when I did child and adolescent psychology it definitely made me feel more prepared about ever being a parent!

@JullyBean Oh no! It sucks they're not taking volunteers Smiley Frustrated I suppose it's not surprising seeing the health risks. I actually just looked up 'body image volunteering' and found Eating Disorders Victoria who had a few opportunities, but looks like there's a detailed application process. I guess just try typing different things in! @Wolfie_ also mentioned looking at SEEK for volunteering. 

@marlee thanks for the insights too- I'm also considering taking part in RAISE mentoring next year! If we're sharing ideas here Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Oh whoops I had more to say.

@JullyBean I saw your thing about wanting to combat negative thoughts but not having to see any professionals. I have a friend who is in a similar position where she's trying to let go of some very deep-seated ideas around feeling worthy of love. I think what helped her was first getting to the exact bottom of what her feelings were- articulating that it was an issue of feeling loved. She's been doing a lot of journalling and affirmations. The idea is basically saying it again and again until you begin to believe it. It's kind of like treading a new pathway of thought through your brain rather than always going down the well-worn neural network road of negativity Heart

Highlighted

@StormySeas17 I am definitely considering it because I do want to work with children/adolescents if everything works out.
Highlighted

@StormySeas17 omgg yay I'm excited you answered my question!

That's great that you support your friends with your knowledge, that's fabulous! And I'm glad to hear that it's empowered you as well! What's child psychology like? What drew you to it?

Highlighted

@JullyBean I know it must be so frustrating to take a gap year to open spend most of it at home but I wanted to give you some encouragement - I went straight from high school to uni and managed to fit in a 4 month solo trip through Europe, and then seperate trips to China and Israel as well as study abroad in Hawaii for my undergrad all whilst studying! Its the perfect time to be adjusting your timetable to fit whatever you want to achieve!

Also I found sooo many volunteering opportunities just by looking on SEEK VOLUNTEERING as well as Linkedin - I would go onto peoples pages who are now psychologists and have a look to see what sort of work experience and volunteering experience they did. It was a great way to see what my options are and going straight to those websites. I hope that helps a little!