cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas brainstorms for discussions you would like to see!

Hey there ReachOut Community!

We would love your help to brainstorm ideas you have for discussion topics in 2020! Maybe there is a topic you would like to explore? A question you are curious to know? Or something that is an area of interest!

We are planning activities and discussions including:

• Getting Reals (fortnightly community discussion on a topic selected by the community)
  • Weekly Wellbeing activities (a wellbeing activity you can try each week)
  • Ask a Pro: Live discussion (where the community interviews a special guest)
  • Special discussions (topics we will explore as a community)
  • Events (important events/days relevant to our community)

You can brainstorm all your ideas below (anonymously!) or reply to this thread!

Can't wait to see all your amazing ideas!

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Re: Ideas brainstorms for discussions you would like to see!

Highlighted

Highlighted

Thanks for the tag @Jess1-RO Smiley Happy
I’m just gonna list a few! Sorry if they’ve already been topics..

Dealing with violence, drug and alcohol issues, bullying, losing people or meaningful things, family issues, problems relating to money, Trauma, spirituality and the big questions of life (like the meaning/purpose), moving out of home or moving houses, pain management, dealing with medical issues, diet stuff/eating healthy/staying healthy, time management, phobias and fears, LGBT issues, mindfulness and meditation, homelessness, social media stuff like seeing distressing things and yea sorry if these aren’t good or they’ve already been spoken about
Highlighted

@Jess1-RO idk if this is what you're looking for exactly, but a discussion involving health at every size might be useful.  I know of at least one person on the forums who hasn't been able to get help for an ED because of their weight, and a few others with disordered eating of some kind.

A conversation on managing dysphoria also might help a few people.

Like I know it's not exactly a universal issue, but it can really affect people who get it.

For a weekly wellbeing, it might be good to talk about supports, what different supports can help with, and what kind of supports someone can access. 

I also really like @Bananatime04's idea of a conversation about seeing distressing stuff on social media. I'd also like to put seeing triggering ads there, because I know that they've been bothering me recently.

It also might be good to do an ask a pro about crisis.

Like, what steps you can take if you or someone else in in crisis and thinking of hurting themselves. That sort of information would have been so useful for me a couple of years ago, and it might save someone else a bit of worry. 

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO aaand a few more ideas:

A weekly wellbeing where people make/ describe a self care/ sensory box. I personally like to have one handy for when I'm in crisis, and I put in a piece of paper with contact details for helplines.

An ask a pro or a GR on safety planning

Something on discrimination, why it happens, what it looks like, how to cope with it and what to do about it.

Highlighted

Ooh~ thanks for the tag @Jess1-RO!

For a weekly wellbeing activity, I was thinking something to do with art. Like, "paint your pain" (Angry Birds Movie quote Smiley Happy ) or make an artwork of some sort that shows what makes you feel what.

Like @Tiny_leaf mentioned, an ask a pro or gr on safety planning, and/or how to make friends at a new school. And how to cope with friendships breaking up.

I think all the other ones I was going to suggest have all been mentioned, but these are the ones I want to know about most.

If we do an event on friendships back to school thingie, that would be helpful before the school term starts. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@Jess1-RO  

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing topics about mood issues and or psychosis but I am aware the second is not so ‘popular’ on here. Other topics I would be interested in would be things like what to do in a crisis or managing concerns with becoming a functioning or non functioning adult. Also things to do with climate change and the emotions that comes with, maybe topics about eating issues but not focused on under eating or the things that a traditionally thought of with eating disorders so things that aren’t commonly talked about and how to manage and eating disorder during holiday periods. Also maybe a topic on communication with friends and family. 

Highlighted

Thank You for the tag, @Jess1-RO.

Here are some ideas of mine: 

- moving out of home

- coping with study and work

- making meaningful friendships

- saving money

- getting a better night's rest and avoiding sleeping all day

- keeping fit and eating healthily.

Highlighted

Hi @goldilocks@Eden1717@xXLexi_Lou122Xx@Tiny_leaf  and @Bananatime04,

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! Tons of brilliant topic ideas for 2020 Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar here