cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interrupting Uni Studies

Tonight, I have an assignment due (I'm ignoring it). Yesterday, I had an assignment to do (also being ignored) and last week I submitted an assignment a day late because again, I just couldn't do it. 

As a side note, it probably sounds like procrastination for not doing my assignments and I wish I could properly explain it but it's so much more than procrastination.

ANYWAY my uni goals were to finish this semester and then decide if I want to keep teaching but I just can't. I'm three assignments in and each one has ended up the same way. It can't be a good thing that I keep breaking down when I try to do assignments (even though up until this point I've been able to finish them, I've still had emotional breakdowns over them). So in... (31 minus 27...) some days is the census date and I think I need to withdraw and "interrupt my studies" as it's formally known. I just... I can't do this semester.

The main reason for this thread is to... validate my decision I guess. My mum seems to think I can do this, because I've done it for (internal maths) 5 semesters so far so naturally I can do this one too but NOPE. I strongly disagree. So I need to have this conversation with her and say, "I want to take a break this semester". I need to take a break this semester. 

What am I going to do? I have no idea. Maybe try and get a casual job for the mornings? I can still tutor I guess, and if I do this I'll be able to do workshops next term (if my boss still needs someone) so okay I can just work. Try to get my mental health in order again, because I've been falling off the wagon. 

Unless I just withdraw from all but my practicum unit, so I can still experience teacher-ness again to make my decision... can I even do that? I don't know. Or maybe teacher aide positions can be just for mornings. 

Is this a good decision? I'm terrified but I'm not getting these assignments done anytime soon. I doubt I'll get special consideration for "procrastination" (because that's all people will understand if I try to explain) so I'm screwed. 

ANYWAY I am probably going to withdraw from all my units this semester by the 31st (Friday I think) and have a break from uni this semester because I can't do it. And this thread is just me trying to validate my decision (because I don't have many/any friends I can talk to)

So... thanks for listening/reading I guess Smiley Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Re: Interrupting Uni Studies

Hi @N1ghtW1ng,

It sounds like you have really thought this through, weighed up what's do-able and come to a decision that is right for you. How do you feel about it now after writing it down?

Can I just say good on you for putting your health first! I think that with university we are all told we have to do things within a certain time frame at a certain pace, and the reality is that everyone completes their degree in their own time and are often better off for going at their own pace. Recognising when it's time to have a break and listening to your body when it's telling you to slow down is SUPER important and shows so much insight Heart Good on you! Smiley Happy

Let us know how you go over the next few days Heart

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

Hey @N1ghtW1ng, from previous experience taking a gap semester (a.k.a. "an interruption to my studies"), I thought it was worth it in the end. I also enjoyed studying much more once I got back to it after the break and procrastinated less than I did before the break. I agree with @Jess1-RO, I think that it is awesome that you're putting your health first.

In typical circumstances, you can withdraw from all your units besides your prac, but I would double check with your uni faculty about this.

Having said all of this, I would still contact your uni faculty at some point to work out what your schedule/pathway to graduation will look like once you return to your studies after your break. I contacted my faculty after my break to readjust what subjects I took in each semester (as some subjects are not offered in both semesters) so that there wouldn't be any more interruptions on my pathway to honours.

Let me know if you have any more questions on any of this, I'm more than happy to help Smiley Happy

hi @N1ghtW1ng
you have to do whats best for you Smiley Happy its great youve been able to work this out yourself and know what is best for you
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@Jess1-RO @Esperanza67 @scared01 thank you for all your messages Smiley Happy

So I've decided to (and have already done) withdrawing from two of my units, the two units who had overdue and unfinished assignments and am only doing two units now, a math one and my prac one. Which means I'll still get to experience my prac at the end of this semester and use that to decide if I can really make it as a teacher.

Wish me luck!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

good luck @N1ghtW1ng i hope it all goes well for you!

hey @N1ghtW1ng hows everything going?

Hi @N1ghtW1ng

It sounds like you have decided what it best for you and you should stick to that regardless of what other people think.

I am currently in the middle of a year off Uni and I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made!

There's nothing wrong with needing to take some time away, Uni can be really tough!