cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Interviews

@ErinAntics I rang TAE and enquired and had a lovely chat to the Accounting Department which oversees both courses. I have decided to do Cert 4 Accounting as there is a broader range of jobs I can do! And then if I like I can study further after to become an accountant, so yeah we'll see where it takes me Smiley Happy
That's awesome! Best of luck with your course! Smiley Very Happy

@honky no worries Smiley Happy I had a job interview and needed help stat! LOL But also because we didn't have a interview thread! I KNOW! It's ridiculous! In my town, there are too many admin workers and not enough admin jobs! LOL Thus far it hasn't proven to be worth it job wise but it certainly gave me skills for it. But after having a couple interviews and one job for 3 months I want to head more into the accounts payable/receivable rather then the admin, I like the money and figure/math side of it Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey @Bee, thanks for starting this thread

1. I sometimes get cold because I'm anxious and will start shivering/teeth chattering. So I often try and do a bit of movement/exercise beforehand to warm up, and then I make sure I stand tall and relaxed when I walk into the building. 

2. When I'm doing an interview, I find it really helpful to do some preparation beforehand thinking about why I'm doing this, and what skills I have that will help me do well. I try and think of the interview as a 'sussing out opportunity' - they will be evaluating you, but I find it helpful to remember that it's also a chance for me to find out more about them, the job and if it's a place I want to be working. Even when I absolutely100% want the job, I still like to find out more info at the interview, and thinking this way helps me feel a little bit less intimidated. 

3. For me, dressing confidently is helpful and so is focusing on my breathing when I start to feel stressed. I never really get rid of the interview nerves, I just settle them to the point that I can seem calm and confident to others (even though my stomach is still usually in a knot). 

Hey @Bee Smiley Happy

I read out the jobs requirements (i.e. what they expect from the candidates) and as I drive to the interview I have a little mock interview with myself. Haha! Sounds strange because I am basically just having a conversation to myself in the car. So this helps me get prepared. 

In terms of nerves, I get slightly nervous but I am unusually confident... I go into the interview as if I am the best fit for the role. And I think that kind of reflects in the interview. 

@Bee good pick up - definitely an important thread to have! Smiley Happy

1. What helps you get ready for an interview? Do you have a routine or special prep song or dance?
Listening to music and walking can definitely help with calming the nerves for me

2. How do you prepare for the interview? What helps?
Going over my resume and cover letter (and always print one out and bring it to the interview!) and coming up with questions that I think they might ask and practicing it out loud. I also like to do a bit of research on the org and make sure I have some questions that I want to ask them.

3. Best tip for getting over interview nerves, what has worked in the past? What didn't work for you that might for others?
I think self talk is also super important. I remind myself that whatever happens is okay even if I really really want the job it's kind of beyond my control at that point. I just need to try my best and hopefully it will go okay. I also like to remind myself that if I get along well with the interviewer and the vibe of the place suits me then it is more likely to work out. Sometimes you go in to an interview or trial and you know it isn't somewhere you would fit in. Another thing I always like to do is praise and reward myself after the interview regardless of how I performed - interviews are a really difficult and stressful thing to get through!

@Karinaskii I go over things in the car too, so on my way, I'm either singing or mock answering questions. And then I still have the tendency to freeze up!

@cerluean Thank you for your response, I focus on my breath too, but it usually doesn't help much.

@May_ Yes I too bring my resume and cover letter to job interviews, but I've literally never needed them! Ever!
I like to research as much as I can, but being in a small town, not much business stuff in on the net unless they're a BIG company! And then there's not even a lot of info! lol
I think I need to up my self-care around interviews.

How do people remain confident in themselves during interviews?
I have a tendency to completely lose everything in my mind like I literally cannot remember the stuff I've learnt in interviews. I Freeze so bad. And mock interviews with my job search agency are worse than interviews with an employer - it's here that I go into panic attacks and legit just cannot even communicate. I need help.

Highlighted

May sound a little crazy, but I try to think of a job interview as an appointment! just like a Doctor's or Dentist appointment, something you may not want to do but something you have to do that will help you out later in life. 
I also like to remember that the person interviewing me is just another human, they may even be nervous themselves meeting you. It's okay to say you're a little nervous, you're human and it also indicates that you care about the interview and want to do well. 

Music is always my go-to preparation. Smiley Happy

@Bee what types of self-care things do you think you could do around interviews?

Sorry to hear the mock interviews were really difficult, were they more formal than some 'real' interviews you've been to?

@amywells21 that's a cool way of thinking about them - definitely true! Smiley Happy

@amywells21 that's an interesting way of looking at interviews, I'll try it next time!

@May_ The first time we tried a mock interview it was said to be laid back. So I had walked out of the room and stood outside and then my caseworker at the Job Search place came out got me etc. And as soon as the first question came up I freaked out, half answered and shut down completely and then went into panic.This last one was a lot more casual, she read through stuff I'd written to prepare for my last interview, and then after she asked a question and I went into panic - I couldn't even bring myself to look at her afterwards Smiley Sad
I'm usually set time aside for myself before and after an interview just relax. And I've tried NOT putting so much pressure on myself, and it works until the interview and then I either shut down and have no answer or I cannot communicate and I have huge gaps and uhms and stutter and mispronounce words multiple times.

@Bee seems like you are doing a lot of self care around the interviews which is awesome Smiley Happy sorry if you've already mentioned this but have you spoken to a psych about managing anxiety and panic in interviews?