cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Looking after mental health is an everyday commitment - but it's worth it.

Hey wonderful people of Reach Out!

I wanted to start a new thread to chat about how we look after our mental health in daily life.

For me, looking after my mental health is an everyday activity. In the morning I go over some self-care mantras and do body scans/ mindfulness exercises throughout the day when I feel anxious. This keeps me grounded - like I am in control and can work with whatever comes up.

Sometimes, of course, it's more difficult and I can lose my way for a few days. This is all part of managing my mental health and I'm sure it happens for everyone. I just have to bounce back, check-in with myself and keep moving forward. It's all part of it and accepting I won't always be 'perfect' is a big part of my journey.

I was wondering, what are some activities you might be comfortable sharing that help with your mental health? A walk in the park? Meditation?

Highlighted

Re: Looking after mental health is an everyday commitment - but it's worth it.

hey @Abderian
nice to meet you

i like to go for drives with some good music. im not a good singer lol but i do like to sing when im on my own with the music turned up going for a drive to clear my head or just for a breather.

i also like to watch tv shows/movies, arts and crafts and crochet too
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Hi @Abderian thanks for starting this conversation! In light of R U OK? Day, it be really productive to consider these things as a follow up!

Along with what @scared01 has mentioned so far, an activity that works for me listening to lofi coffee shop/ambience music so I feel stimulated and like I'm surrounded by busy happenings- something I've missed during lockdown!

Highlighted

Meditation, exercise and journaling

Highlighted

Such a great thread idea! Thank you for making this. I personally love going for a walk, making sure I drink enough water, making sure my house is clean and eating something that I enjoy each day Smiley Happy
Highlighted

To me art and writing help the most. Sometimes when I get too caught up in my own thoughts that I can't break them down myself, I'll grab my journal and write down one thought, then the next and the next. It helps me slow down my thoughts and analyse what I'm really thinking and what's causing it.

Ooooor I'll just draw and that helps me feel better so that I can start looking at the real issue!

Highlighted

Hey @Abderian 

Thanks for starting a great thread! I use headspace when I need to ground myself, breathe and calm a racing heart. I also go on walks outside to this large oval near my house- it's especially beautiful during sunsets!

Highlighted

Hey @November13 thank you for creating this thread. Writing in my journal is such an important way for me to process feelings/experiences too. Good on you for finding ways of slowing down your thoughts and sharing it with our community Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

@Bre-RO Well actually @Abderian created the thread not me oops! Smiley Tongue But great topic isn't it! Yeah journalling is always a great help. Do you follow a process or do you just write down what's on your mind? Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Abderian, I found going for bushwalks and talking to people who understand what I am going through really beneficial for my mental health. I recently stumbled upon eFriend (https://efriend.org.au/) and Being Supported (beingsupported.org.au) I found it really helpful to talk to these guys as they listen without judgement.