cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Managing study/uni/school

I am sorry if there is already a thread for this but i looked around and didn't see one. Anyway I wanted to have a thread for people who are trying to study especially during the pandemic where study has been interrupted for many people or is being done very differently. So this thread is for posting tips or simply venting or having a rant about trying to study, or posting motivational type stuff to help with study. it is for anything and everything study related. 

Highlighted

Re: Managing study/uni/school

To start off with I have been trying to do my weeks readings for uni today and haven't even be able to start and I wont be able to do them tomorrow we will see what the rest of the night brings but it isnt looking likely. it might be if uni readings weren't so darn long and if i didn't have 3 classes worth of them to do. 

Highlighted

Hi, @Eden1717 I have also experienced the struggle of not being able to get motivated to read textbooks. My advice for that would be to have a reward for each reading you complete and to do readings in chunks. My general advice for getting motivated for uni despite everything likely been so different is to remind yourself of why you're studying the subject, to set timers to work done with a reward at the end, and to put a study with me on in the background to make you feel like your not studying alone or skype/zoom study with friends/others in the unit. Hope that advice helps. 

Highlighted

Hey @Eden1717 

I love the advice that @A_Friend has given you. When I get a bit demotivated, I also give myself little rewards at the end of reading a certain number of pages. This might be watching one youtube video, going on a short walk around the block etc. 

I also am really passionate about what I study and that definitely helps motivate me too. Another tip I could add is probably just to remember to set reasonable goals. You're totally right that uni readings can be SUPER long. Try your best to split the readings up throughout the week into reasonable chunks. That way, you're more likely to manage and reach your goals which will make you feel good.

Highlighted

Hi @Eden1717  !

As someone who has his fair share of struggles with Uni and doing work in general I do have some advice for some people who may be on the same boat as me before.

1. Try to force yourself to do things as early as possible (I managed to submit an assignment 2 weeks early which is unheard of for someone who procrastinated his whole life)

2. Get some help from friends that have good study values.

3. Try to keep up with them. (For me this was my SO who is the complete opposite of me, and trying to keep up with her schedule was hard but really worth it)

Extra Tips:

Uploading all your Uni textbook PDFs, readings etc, as a document you can use the search function  (I use Readiris), this way you can copy and paste it in one huge documents that you can use during revision, or open-book exams that you can CTR + F (find function) keywords.

Hope this helps someone!

Highlighted

@Anzelmo and @ayrc_1904 you both gave such great advice as well, I always try to do my assignments early or in chunks which also helps when I feel overwhelmed from uni and so many assignments with a reward (like an extra couple of hours off).

Highlighted

Hii @Eden1717 ! This is a great thread to help all the people still studying and attending school/uni during the pandemic!

For me when I studied I would usually study and read over lecture notes and textbooks in chunks and then take short breaks in between to give myself a rest. I would also schedule parts of my day to study or do assignments, and if that didn't work out for me I'd try to be flexible and figure out another time to finish studying.

I would also write down all the due dates of my assignments and exams so I could see what was coming up in certain weeks and plan ahead/prioritise what I needed to do. Writing them down also helped me feel less overwhelmed with the amount of things I had to do since I could actually see how much time I had to complete the work.

I hope some of the things I did for my studies/assignments helps! Heart And I hope you're able to get your uni readings done soon! ~
Highlighted

Thanks for this thread @Eden1717 

Today I started back at uni. So far it's not going well. So much confusion and convolution.

Currently my thoughts are I don't think I want to be a teacher which is what I'm studying, and I'm pretty sure I really don't like being a uni student, so I've maybe made the wrong decision here 🙁

I guess I'll come back to it with a (hopefully) fresh perspective later on and see if I feel any differently...

Highlighted

Hey @hellofriend I'm sorry you've had a bad start to your semester, and that you're now questioning what you want to do. Does it help to think about why you wanted to become a teacher in the first place?

When I was studying I found it helped to try and remember why I was there. That being said, I did change what I studied and lots of people do so if you think about it for a while and do decide you don't want to be a teacher (or a student) that's completely fine and your choice.

Are there any tips in this thread you have found helpful?

Highlighted

Hi @hellofriend, I'm sorry to hear uni is not going well. Being a uni student can be quite challenging and confusing sometimes. I love @Hannah-RO's idea to think about why you started. I've been at uni for quite a while, and sometimes thinking about why I do what I do helps keep me going.

It's completely normal to feel this way. You will be surprised to find out how many people have the exact same thought you are having at the moment! I hope that when you come back to this thread later, you'll have a bit more clarity on what you want to do next, but even if you don't, that's perfectly okay. Many people don't know if they're on the right path no matter how far into their career they are, and that's alright as well! Did you know most people nowadays have 5 different careers throughout their working life? That sounds like most of us may switch to another career at some point, some within the first month of uni and some 20 years into their career, and of course some will stick to the same career forever. Some of the smartest people I know don't have a degree, and some do. It's totally up to you what you choose to do, and no matter what your decision is, I hope you have the best of fun and lots of good luck!