cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mindfulness

Hey guys!

Some of you might be familiar with the concept of mindfulness, but it's basically a form of meditation that involves noticing your thoughts in the present moment and accepting them, without judgement. There are many different ways mindfulness can be practised. For example, I tend to eat a lot when I'm stressed, and I find mindful eating helps me address that.

I thought this could be a thread where we share our experiences of mindfulness, ask any questions we have about it and suggest different ideas/techniques we've found effective!  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Re: Mindfulness

One mindful activity I really enjoy is colouring. You might have seen some mindfulness colouring books around - they;ve become a bit of a craze, and for a good reason!

Here's a link to some downloadable mindfulness colouring pages if you're interested: http://www.inourhands.com/uncategorized/downloadable-colouring-pages-for-relieving-stress-and-anxiet...

Highlighted

Love the idea of colouring!

And to those who are bit lazy like me, there's colouring apps as well. My favourite one is Colorfy Smiley Happy

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Highlighted

Cool thread @letitgo Smiley Happy
I haven't really got the hang of mindfulness without an audio guide (like Smiling Mind exercises) Smiley Tongue I'm not very good at doing activity-based mindfulness either unless it happens by accident.
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Highlighted

Thanks for the replies @kaysee and @Bay52VU!

Oooh, I didn't realise there was a colouring app - I'll definitely have to check it out!

I like these 5 tips on mindful eating as well: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/12/mindful-eating-tips_n_3941528.html

This is a video guide to mindful eating that could be helpful too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH93-F76VvA

Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hi there everyone, 

Mindfulness changed my life! 

It has helped me go from someone who would feel like vomiting every morning when leaving the house to someone who can stand in front of first years at uni and talk about study tips and my experiences which is something I never thought I would be able to do without being physically vomiting on the front row of people. 

Don't get me wrong I had a lot of help from my psychologist to help guide me through it and help me understand and use mindfulness the right way but now I pretty much live anxiety free, except for the normal anxiety that everyone experiences. 

Here are some of my favourites: 

- Colouring, I like to colour in an actual book, but the app is great also. 

- Mindful breathing has been my saviour and is my go to. There are great mindful meditations online that guide you through step by step, there are a few different apps as well. Such as, Stop, Breathe, Think, smiling mind, Reach out Breathe, is great when you might need a quick way to calm your body and mind with using headphones. There are heaps of other apps, just download them and give them a try. 

-Also being aware of thoughts, sensations and emotions is another kind of mindfulness, which is called Body Scan exercises and just let you identify what you are feeling or what your worst sensations are and then you sit with your feelings, accept them and then after time they fade away. 

There is a lot of different kinds of mindfulness, some may or may not work for you and sometimes different kinds may work better for different situations or people. 

The ones listed above are my favourite and what has helped me the most. Smiley Happy 

Jess. 

Highlighted

Hey everyone!

Love the thread @letitgo.

I have done some basic mindfulness exercises for a while now and really enjoy it.  A big one for me is noticing times in my day where my thoughts start spiral and it starts to affect my mood.  I struggle heaps when I finish work and I find it hard to 'switch off' from thinking about my work.

One thing I am trying now is to give my mind a task to do when I drive home.  It might be looking for certain types of cars, or noticing how many traffic lights there are on the way home.  As I am doing this I try to let my thoughts about work come and go while trying to concentrate back on looking for different cars.

I like trying out different kinds of mindfulness, rather than always outting on my trusty Russ Harris!

Highlighted

Hi everyone! :-)

Great thread, @letitgo!

I really enjoy using the SmilingMind app for my mindfulness meditation. Personally, I enjoy mindful breathing the most.

Mindfulness really helped me stop ruminating (repetitively immersing yourself in negative thoughts, emotions and events). Mindfulness helped me realise when I wasn't thinking about things constructively. For example, if I were experiencing conflict with someone, it might be helpful to problem solve and plan what I would like to say to the person. But if I let myself just sit there and think and think, I just end up feeling terrible and wasting time I could have been using to make myself feel good. 

Mindfulness also helps me with study. If I am trying to study, but my thoughts keep wondering to things like 'what if I can't finish this assignment on time' or things like that, I am now able to notice and meditate if I need to. It helps me reduce my anxiety about studying, improve my concentration, mood and motivation (because it's hard to do things that cause stress, right?). 

Highlighted

Hi @letitgo!
Mindfulness is definitely something that I want to work on. I can be such an overthinker at times! I also love colouring, I recently purchased a women of Marvel colouring book and it's been so fun and relaxing to work on! 

Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips, everyone!

@jesseka_grace I loved hearing how far you've come! I still struggle with having to speak in front of people and it's amazing to hear that you've been able to work through that.

@kickit I find that I have to notice when my thoughts start to spiral as well. I know it gets worse when I haven't had enough sleep, so I have to make sure I get that, even if it means sacrificing other things. And I love the idea of giving your mind a task when you drive home. I find that my mind tends to wander a lot when I'm driving, especially after a long day at work. I'm going to try giving myself a task like that!