cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice

Things in my life have been going well so far but since my father was diagnosed With PDSD but lately he seems off. Meaning he will get mad at little things for eg  putting dishes in the dish washer, joking around with him or even if it’s abit louder than usual. He seems to isolate himself from my brothers, sisters and myself when my mum is at work and he will never talk to us unless if it’s him getting mad at the small things. I’m getting frustrated  With him cause sometimes it seems like he only cares about himself and being a bit insensitive, I did some research on his disorder and apparently that are some symptoms of PDSD. I don’t know what to do ? I just want my father to go back to normal and things to be the way they were. 

Re: Need advice

Hey @Dleehy2002 it's great that you took the initiative and did some research on your dad's condition. Do you know if your dad is seeking professional help? 

It can be really tough when a parent is acting in those unpredictable ways or isolating themselves from us, huh?

Have you spoken to your mum about his behaviour?

There are some resources available for young people who have a parent with a mental illness, and you might find this website helpful: COPMI

Looking forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Hi @Dleehy2002, I just wanted to check on how you were doing. 

Have you had a chance to speak to your mum or even your siblings about how you are feeling? Do you feel like there's been any improvement? 

I hope everything is going okay for you. We're here if you need to talk. 

HeartHeart

Hey @Dleehy2002 , 

I can relate with this so much. my dad's being going off at me for every little thing when in reality, I've honestly not done anything anything wrong. Yesterday, I asked him if he wanted some fruit and he found that somehow offensive and he started yelling at me.

My mum and I have been urging him to go see a councillor, as his temper is extremely short and he is sooooo sensitive about everything and finds every little thing to nitpick at me to take his anger out. When we brought this up to him, he threw a fit and punched a wall and drove away, and came back later that night. 

He is always afraid to get angry at my mum cause shes the boss Smiley Very Happy, but since this is the case, I'm always the one who he goes to take his anger out on. I asked him if everything was alright at work (because i thought that might have been a reason) and believe it or not, he smashed a mug on the ground and yelled "ITS FINE, WHY?" 

I truly believe I've lost my happy-go-lucky father and I have no clue either how to deal with this. It's been going on for a good few months now. 

I hope your situation gets better, and I'll always be here for a chat if you need Smiley Happy)))

Stressed student <3 

Hi @stressedstudent 

Sounds like you've and your mum have been going through a really difficult experience. Thank you for letting us know what's going on. It's a brave step to take. If you want to talk more about what's happening for you we are here to listen. 

I'm wondering what other support you have in place? Have you ever contacted someone like Kids Help Line or 1800RESPECT? I have included their contact details below for you.

Kids HelpLine (KHL) - call 1800 55 1800 or Webchat available

1800 RESPECT - call 1800 737 732

Also, is there someone outside of your family that you trust that you can talk to about what's going on?

Hey @Tess-RO 

I'm happy to let you know that I'm alright.  thanks for all the support you are showing though! It means a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have any other people to talk to outside of family, but my mum and I have each other to get over it. 

I'll be sure to check in with the contact details you provided me, if I need desperate help.

Thanks for checking up on me once again,

Stressed student Smiley Happy

Hey @stressedstudent  thanks for updating us! 

We are here to support you and listen as well - even if situations aren't 'desperate', getting support is always a good option. 

@Dleehy2002  how have you been since you last posted? Hope things are going ok for you this week too. Heart