cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice

I need some advice would you go with your heart and be with someone that makes you happy and respects you and your decisions while allowing your family to disown you, throw you out of the house and want nothing to do with you or listen to your family and give up the person that you care about the most just to stop the constant fighting that's happening.

What should I do, listen to my heart or Family?

Re: Need advice

Hi @Tinkmatter this is a very complicated problem. How are you feeling about the situation? It must be very hard to decide between the people you care about. Could you tell me a little more about it? 

@Tinkmatter echoing that @Libellule has said - that's a really complex and difficult decision to make Smiley Sad I'm sorry that you're in a position of choosing between people you love. 

I'm also interested about how you feel about things.  Why do you think your family is so against this other person? 

Heart

Hi @Libellule I feel like shit, I cant have a normal conservative with my family about anything because they tell me to open my eyes. Most days I just stay at home to escape them.

My family is highly against my partner, we've been together for almost 2 years but friends for 1.5 years before that. We met at work. They dont like him because he's 2 years younger than me, lives away from his family, he's of a different nationality, well they only see the negative which frustrates me because these are the same people that taught me not to judge a book by its cover. They are pretty much making me choose between them or him.

It's at the point where my family has requested that I keep my GPS location on through snapchat so that they monitor me and make sure that I dont see him or if I go out, I have to take my younger sisters with me. They are also trying to make me quit my job and work with family so I cant see him.

Hi @Tinkmatter that sounds like a really difficult situation to be in and I'm sorry to hear that your family haven't been supportive of your relationship Smiley Sad It must be hard not being able to have a conversation with them about it. How does your partner feel about the situation and have you discussed ways to approach this? I'm wondering what supports you have in place? You may find it useful chatting to a counsellor on Kids Helpline or eHeadspace for some further support also, they also have webchat available. We're here for you Heart 

Hi @Tinkmatter

There's a lot factors that you have to consider here. 

If you were to choose your partner, where would you sleep? If you guys break up, what then? Do you have enough money to support yourself? 

If everything is good, in terms of you have a plan for everything then I would definitely suggest you go off with your partner. We have to remember that it is our lives we live. Our parents shouldn't be able to dictate our lives.