cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Over eating

So I have a problem that I often over eat. It’s not a matter of stress or that I eat unhealthily, it’s more that I just eat more than I should when it comes to eating. I was wondering if there are any ways to tackle this and such? I just want to eat the certain amount of myself. Another thing is lunch is often a bit hard for me because I’m unsure of what to eat, and I might eat something that is perhaps either too much or just not nutritional. I’ve been looking at that healthy recipe thing on the forum which helps but is there anything else I can do? 

Highlighted

Re: Over eating

Hey @keezeik 

Thanks for sharing what is going on for you Heart. I think a lot of people can relate to what you're saying, myself included! It can be easy to over-eat, especially when the food is TASTY. 

On a nutritional podcast I listen to, they say that if you want to eating better/more nutritious goods, then a good way to start is by eating 5 vegetables and 2 pieces of fruit a day. They also suggest "eating the rainbow" - so eating fruits/veg of all different colours. Also, for information on what foods you should be eating, it might be a good idea to check out the World Health Organisation website, particularly this page here, which provides info on what a healthy diet looks like based on scientific evidence. 

If you're wanting healthy recipe ideas, it might be a good idea to google them. There are so many good resources on the internet. 

In terms of eating less, or not over-eating, I'm not entirely sure. It might be a good idea to speak with a professional nutritionist, as they should be able to tell you how much you should be eating to maintain a healthy weight for your height, age, gender etc. A nutritionist will be able to help you with recipe ideas too. Is seeing a nutritionist something you'd consider? 

Highlighted

Yeah I might be seeing a nutritionist in a week or so Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@keezeik  I think this is a really common issue. I've seen family members struggle with it. It can be really hard to judge when we are full.

I've heard that it has helped some people to eat more foods that can be eaten with utensils, rather than foods that can be eaten on-the-go. It can also be helpful to spend more time eating at a table rather than alone. My family members tend to hoard or hide snacks in their rooms and eat them in between meals, which probably contributes to their issues with food.
I also find that I tend to overeat and get a stomachache when I eat too quickly. I think that it's important to keep hydrated because I find that it helps me stay fuller for longer.
One of my family members was given a plate that had guidelines about portion sizes on it from a dietician. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask the nutritionist if they have something similar?

Highlighted

Yeah I'm actually doing that at the moment Smiley Happy with my dietician but thank you Smiley Happy