cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

People are judgmental.......

Hi folks it me,ole Snuffles......i sometime people so judgmental at times as they are so quick make a assumption that so and so is stupid because of etc. etc. I often have my legs wrapped in braces and today whist getting off the tram, the old A class trains with steps plus the tram was stopping in it's usual jerky manner. As it was peak hours and the tram was packed, I was making my way to door to get off at the stop when a bunch of school kids, teenager said, "move stupid!"

Gee that make me mad when people pick at me just because I got stuff wrong with my legs and I look different! I growled, " careful what you say, as someone will not take it lightly and bust your legs or worse give you a disability!" "Don't go sobbing to the world that they should treat you right because of disablities! You have been warned"!

So I left the tram with some regret that I didn't kick her in the knee cap and bust her leg for her! As I have picked on so much I am darn well sick of it! I just they just let me be, so what if I don't look like some pencil thin Barbie doll! I wish I can thump at times, get the message thru their thick heads that can't go around picking at people who's got stuff wrong with them and cannot move around as easily as them! Gosh they take their healthy, agile body for granted, if it's gonna stuff up it will, question of when and how. They should not come crying to me if they are stuck in wheelchair for life and become fat and flabby!

They have been warned!!
Highlighted

Re: People are judgmental.......

Hi Snuffle-nose, I'm hearing you as too why you are sick of it, but WELL DONE! on standing up for yourself, because you have every right like any other human to access that tram.
People are always going too talk about other people regardless, and generally people do that when people (like yourself) are more vulnerable.

Well done on expressing and sharing your experiences on ReachOut, I hope it's a valuable tool that you can utilise.

Take care Snuffle-nose
Highlighted

Hey @Snuffle-nose ,

I can imagine how angry that must have made you feel, it really is not fair in anyway at all. I think those kids sound like they need a good lesson in respect. Really good self restraint not to go at her, I try to think of the whole two wrongs don't make a right thing- although in a situation like that it is super hard sometimes. 

Do you think there needs to be more done maybe in schools or general health promotion messages about respect or treatment for people with disabilities? 

Highlighted

What they is after finishing school is to be forced to do national service, properly getting their butts kicked around by some Sargent major to teach to respect and some discipline toward people will fix Their egos, bring them down a few pegs and make train in the rain,army drills etc. plus I think the Sargent major will punish them army style if they try to be funny.

I know they need to learn respect but it's not going to happen until this so called lucky country enforce national service on to the school leavers and teaches them that by can't go around picking at anyone who looks different! What I see it a unlucky country if one can't walk around minding their business without been picked for the stigma of been different!
Highlighted

That's definitely one way of looking at teaching respect to people, in a very disciplinary approach and I can understand why it seems like some serious changes need to happen. I think maybe a greater level of understanding is needed too. Sometimes I think that when people don't understand people or situations they can react very poorly, like social isolation, stigmatisation or in your case, being really rude. I definitely remember learning about physical illnesses like sprained ankles and things at school but nothing really about physical or mental disabilities. Maybe there is a need to address some of these gaps to create better understanding as a starting point?

I can imagine it must be very hard having to face these sorts of things over and over again and it really isn't fair. I like the post Being Different and What makes you unique compared with everyone else? that we have going at the moment, and how many of us say that we love being different and a bit weird because there really is no normal Smiley Happy

Highlighted

In my frame of mind, "The word "normal" is a word used by narrow minded people as a excuse to pick at us! It 's the so called demented fools use this to put a stigma on those different. If the are ah-hum, so called normal.......then I'd hate to be in their Soceity. I do not find picking at people's fault as normal and giving miserable time in their best years of their life!

Every time they say they are normal.........I could choke on my water! Normal! That's demented way of showing it!
Highlighted

@Snuffle-nose Im sorry you experienced this, that is terrible and it sucks to know that people think and act in that way... so bizzare - where is their compassion, let alone their common decency!?

It really is stupid, everyone has something or other that they cant do or that isnt typical or "normal" about them, but still people make comments to others just because their something can be easily seen.

What they say to or about you says more about their own problems than yours! You are obviously a strong person -  Dont let them get you down

I definitely think there needs to be more education in schools about mental and physical disabilities, but youd think it was common sense that being outright rude to someone in public for no reason isnt cool?

Sorry if this is rant-ish

Hope the rest of your week is better!