cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Price of a psychiatrist

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to find a psychiatrist for a diagnosis on add but for a better price than a 500$ consultation?? I'm not very financially sound so it's very difficult to pay that sum upfront are there any sort of benefits or programs I can apply for to make it cheaper? 

My current benefits are through centrelink, low income health card, youth allowance aswell as Medicare and I'm under my mother's hbf  insurance thank you for the help

Highlighted

Re: Price of a psychiatrist

Hey @Milkyway111  Smiley Happy 

welcome to ReachOut!

I recently found that I could get 10 free sessions for a psychologist and psychiatrist if I got a referral from my GP but I’m not sure if that applies everywhere.. do you think it would be worth bringing this up with your GP? 

Highlighted

Hey @Milkyway111, Welcome to the forums, $500 is definitely a lot of money and as @Bananatime04 said, it may be best to go to your doctor to find out what the options are. GPs have a lot of professional connections and could know of possible low cost psychiatrists in your area. 

Hi @Milkyway111! Welcome to the forums!

$500 is a huge price. Smiley Sad It could be worthwhile asking your GP if they can refer you to a cheaper service. I've found that mental health services differ widely in their prices and I've heard that some psychiatrists bulk bill. Here are some useful resources about seeing a psychiatrist in Australia. You can search which ones can provide bulk billing using the second link.
Additionally, does the diagnosis have to be made by a psychiatrist, or would your GP be able to have another professional make the diagnosis? University psychology clinics tend to offer cheaper services and you might be able to get a mental health care plan to give you a certain number of free psychology sessions.

Highlighted

Hi @Milkyway111 

Are you able to share what you need the diagnosis for? (as in how you will use it)

Like are you after meds to help you manage it, or do you just want confirmation, or something else?