cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procrastination: Why the love/hate relationship?

Who else has a love/hate relationship with procrastination? It's one of my guilty pleasures.

Smiley Wink

But it just seems to do more harm than good sometimes. I recently asked my friends how to get back into exercising, and stick to it. One of my friends said this:

"Treat yourself once you've achieved your goal. But make sure the goal is small, that way you can ensure that you'll achieve it."

I said to myself:

"Right. Exercise each weekday, for at least 15 minutes, and you can buy something for your Glory Box" (A glory box is a stash of items you put away for when you're ready to move out).

But procrastination kept winning. It's really good at that.

Thank goodness for the ReachOut Forums because I stumbled upon this little gem: The Positivity Blog. This blogger guarantees that you can overcome procrastination by completing hard tasks before easy ones. I tell you what, he's onto something.

I began exercising as soon as I got up in the morning and BAM! I excersised 5 days in a row and have been doing so for the last 2 weeks. And I'm more motivated to keep going cause I get to add something awesome to my box; like a Lazy Susan Smiley Very Happy I've started using this method with everything! Applying for jobs, housework, updating my website.

So my question is this:

Am I alone in this love/hate relationship? And how do you overcome this favoured past time?

Re: Procrastination: Why the love/hate relationship?

Yep, I definitely have a love/hate relationship with procrastination! It feels quite relaxing to do other activities in place of what you're "supposed" to be doing, but in the back of your mind you know that all those "supposed to's" are building up. At the moment, procrastination's winning out, so I'm basically procrastinating over stopping procrastination Smiley Surprised (Is it just me, or are the eyes of theses smilies really far down their faces? Smiley Tongue)

I agree! I find if I make a to-do list I'm actually more motivated to cross things off though.

I agree with you entirely - I have learnt very slowly that I work best doing the stuff I don't want to be doing FIRST and then the easier stuff after. It actually puts me in a better mood as I'm happy with myself for doing the hardest thing first. So, instead of reading or watching tv for half an hour before I start my homework, I sit down and get that first hour over and done with - and then I get to something I want to do!

My biggest form of procrastination is actually cleaning, because I don't feel so bad about doing it, as opposed to reading or lounging around. I've just finished a week of midterm exams - my room is spotless! Smiley Happy

@supersky wrote:

Yep, I definitely have a love/hate relationship with procrastination! It feels quite relaxing to do other activities in place of what you're "supposed" to be doing, but in the back of your mind you know that all those "supposed to's" are building up. At the moment, procrastination's winning out, so I'm basically procrastinating over stopping procrastination Smiley Surprised (Is it just me, or are the eyes of theses smilies really far down their faces? Smiley Tongue)

Haha YES! I do that too, and yes I agree the smiles eyes are really far down their faces. But its kinda cute. What do you do to stop this cycle?

@JustThatGirl wrote:

I agree! I find if I make a to-do list I'm actually more motivated to cross things off though.

Smiley Happy I also find that the more items you have on your to do list the more motivate you get to cross them off. Do you find that?

@florenceforever wrote:

I agree with you entirely - I have learnt very slowly that I work best doing the stuff I don't want to be doing FIRST and then the easier stuff after. It actually puts me in a better mood as I'm happy with myself for doing the hardest thing first. So, instead of reading or watching tv for half an hour before I start my homework, I sit down and get that first hour over and done with - and then I get to something I want to do!

My biggest form of procrastination is actually cleaning, because I don't feel so bad about doing it, as opposed to reading or lounging around. I've just finished a week of midterm exams - my room is spotless! Smiley Happy

Gosh, I wish I had your brain hahaha My room is a mess. Do you find you want to clean more when your stressed? Cause now that I'm thinking about it I find my room more clean around exams and stressful times.

@snowflake-19 wrote:

Gosh, I wish I had your brain hahaha My room is a mess. Do you find you want to clean more when your stressed? Cause now that I'm thinking about it I find my room more clean around exams and stressful times.

Love this thread. I'm a procrastinator extraordinaire! (Although this doesn't help with my studying Smiley Tongue) For me anything is good for procrastinating, including tidying my room like you mentioned. 
What I think helps me a little is having to-do lists. Although I still suck at meeting deadlines. So my uni counsellor gave me some day planners so the plan is for me to work out some specific time slots during the day to do certain things like listen to my lectures (I'm studying mostly distance this semester which hopefully isn't a big mistake on my part) and do my reading for tutes, etc. *Fingers crossed it helps* 

Might try some of your tips too! Doing the harder stuff first sounds like a good thing to do. It's great hearing what works for all of you too. Smiley Very Happy

@snowflake-19 wrote:

Smiley Happy I also find that the more items you have on your to do list the more motivate you get to cross them off. Do you find that?

Yes! Absolutely. I usually write my to-do lists so they contain pretty much everything - even doing the dishes! If it's something that needs to be done it goes on the list. And then I try to prioritise them and work out what needs to be done today, what I'll try and do today, what can be left for later etc. If I see a list a page long I feel the need to start crossing things off!

@Lightuptheworld wrote:

@snowflake-19 wrote:

Love this thread. I'm a procrastinator extraordinaire! (Although this doesn't help with my studying Smiley Tongue) For me anything is good for procrastinating, including tidying my room like you mentioned. 
What I think helps me a little is having to-do lists. Although I still suck at meeting deadlines. So my uni counsellor gave me some day planners so the plan is for me to work out some specific time slots during the day to do certain things like listen to my lectures (I'm studying mostly distance this semester which hopefully isn't a big mistake on my part) and do my reading for tutes, etc. *Fingers crossed it helps* 

Might try some of your tips too! Doing the harder stuff first sounds like a good thing to do. It's great hearing what works for all of you too. Smiley Very Happy

Hey that's not a bad idea either! Maybe try planning the harder stuff to do earlier in your day. You always feel like you've acomplished more once you've completed something hard.