cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Psychology Thesis tips?

Hi everyone! 

This might be a long-shot but I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to write a good Introduction or Discussion for a thesis. 

These are the parts I have been struggling with for mine. 

Please helpppppppp!

Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Re: Psychology Thesis tips?

@missep What is your thesis about? I always find with the intro that when writing it think about a random picking it up and reading it not having a clue about anything or knowing nothing about the subject. How would you give them the best idea and information about the topic? 

For the discussion: i always put in things like 

- limitations of research 

- questions for further direction 

- A summary of the key findings

- How these relate to your aims

- Confirmation of your aims

- Comparison with theory/previous research

- Explanation of unexpected results

- Significance

- Limitations/future directions.

I Hope this helps a little Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@missep This is a great thread idea. I am not writing my thesis just yet, but I'll be paying attention to this thread. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Slinging @letitgo a tag because I know they've been in the midst of finishing up their psych thesis too Smiley Happy

My thesis is about the negative psychological consequences associated with using social media and also fear of missing out (FoMO)! 

Yes! That helps so much Smiley Very Happy 

I'll make sure to incorporate all of this! 

Thank you @Anna-RO Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

I just finished doing a small introduction and discussion as part of one of my psyc subjects!! I'll post what tips they gave us here:

INTRO: They gave us this format which I LOVE and always use so maybe you can take a few tips!!
- FIRST PARAGRAPH: you want to explain your research area (social media), your key concepts (social media, FOMO, etc) and some clear hallmark findings that you're going to reply on throughout your argument (For example, there may be a negative psychological consequence of using media that is associated with FOMO)
- NEXT FEW PARAGRAPHS: explain some existing and relevant studies (with no irrelevant information) that allow the reader to understand WHAT WE ALREADY KNOW about the topic from what other people have done. This allows you to introduce your study in a way whereby the reader understands what knowledge base you are drawing from
- NEXT FEW PARAGRAPHS: now, critique the research you have just evaluated to highlight what we now know in terms of theory and WHAT WE DON'T KNOW (aka, what we need to find out). This provides a convincing rationale for your study (for example, study A shows that using social media can lead to FOMO but doesn't aim to see how this ties in with XYZ [whatever you are trying to find])
- NEXT PARAGRAPH: Then, sussinctly outline your study with KEY details about the participants, IVs, DVs, etc. Only use details that precisely aid the reader's understanding of your hypothesis/es
- NEXT PARA: Then, state your hypothesis IN LINE with what you have already outlined concerning your study overviews. Use all relevant comparisons or predictions and talk about how it will align with previous findings and theories

DISCUSSION: This is a bit tricker and I don't have an exact layout but this is what they told us to do (and said to do it roughly in this order)
- Remind the reader of the 'gap' in the literature that you were aiming to address, your aim and your hypothesis/es for the study
- Dicsuss what we now know because of this study and what we still don't know in relation to both your study and previous research (talk about how your study both ALIGNS WITH and EXTENDS previous research)
- Identify a SIGNIFICANT strength of your study and how this helps to advance your theoretical understanding of the topic. Talk about its value to either the real world or the world of research
- identify a SIGNIFICANT weakness of your study and how this limits your theoretical understanding of the topic. Talk about its limitation to either the real world of the world of research. Identify a CLEAR and SIMPLE solution that may help to limit this weakness in future research
- Clearly and consisely state your main findings and how this advanced our understandings of the topic

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any other tips or clarification as I actually have a whole booklet ahaha Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Thank you so much @basketofmonkeys Smiley Very Happy

From everyone responding to this post I've made a Word Document called 'Thesis Tips' that I'm definitely going to implement Smiley Very Happy