cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Quarter Life Crisis

Hey @Emz215 I can totally relate to your post.

I recently got back from living abroad for a year, living independently, and having the best experience of my life! I am now back home, have left my boyfriend and friends in the USA, and living with my family. I'm about to graduate uni also so am in a similar position stuck between one job/one part of my life and the next. 

So many people who I have spoken to that are in a similar situation to you and myself are feeling the same way. Its natural to crash when you have come from such a high point in your life. But what I have learnt is that its the way you look at it and how you tackle the next steps. I found that writing my goals down on paper really helped. I thought about my career goals especially, and wrote a 1 year and 5 year goal. Then, I wrote out a series of steps to take to reach that goal. In the midst of this, I went through a super anxious period that I am still getting out of I guess. I have started seeing a psychologist for my anxiety and honestly, having a different perspective really really helps.

Obviously different things work for different people, but seeing my goals on paper made me realise how much I really wanted them and gave me the push and the drive I needed to start achieving them. One of my steps achieving paid work was applying for 1-2 jobs per week, so I didn't feel too overwhelmed. It paid off, and I have recently got my first career-orientated job. 

Don't give up on yourself! You tackled America on your own and look how amazing you felt then. Its so important to look back on that but don't be too focused on it, because I know from experience how overwhelming and down that can make you feel. 

Thank you so much for the advice @Bee It helps a lot to know I'm not alone with going through this kind of stress and issues with career shifting. I've decided to send off my resume to the accounting firm in part because I need to take a step but honestly it's also a way to keep my Dad from interrogating me about it. They are difficult to talk to about mental health things, it might be a generational thing or because my brother never really struggled with anything like this so it's hard for them but I'm taking steps for myself and will find a way to talk to them. Hope you are well x

Thank you for the advice @ErinsAntics Smiley Happy

Hey @nelly212,

Thanks for the kind words. It helps knowing other people have been through similar things and come out the other side. I'm starting to figure out my steps to what I want and make some headway on beginning to apply for jobs. 

Congratulations on your job success Smiley Happy hope everything is going well xx

@Emz215 that is awesome that you sent your resume off. Congrats!

It's okay that it feels difficult to talk to your parents about mental health. It can feel so daunting at times, but I am so glad to hear you are taking steps and will find a way to talk to them Smiley Happy So great!!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee, I made the decision that because going in person when there wasn't a job ad to reply to was making me anxious, that I would mail my cover letter and resume in instead. It still means I'm applying myself and it lessens the risk of it just being deleted like an email but reduces my own stress.

It was difficult to start explaining to my Dad that this is what I need to do because he doesn't understand why I'm anxious about this but could spend two months on my own across the world. We'll find a way to communicate and Mum is more understanding. My aim now is to apply for more jobs and start working towards things. 

thanks for your encouragement xx

that makes sense @Emz215 going in and cold calling businesses when there's not vacancy advertised can be such a scary and anxious task to accomplish, and it's totally okay not to feel comfortable doing so. Mailing your cover letter and resume sounds like a great idea! Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear it's difficult to explain to your dad, but do proud of your that you are finding a way to get through it Smiley Happy
Best of luck wih the job search <3

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart