cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaching out to old friends

For a couple of months now I have been thinking of texting one of my old friends. I haven’t talked to her in 3 years (I am in year 12 now) but we were best friends in primary school. Me and my friends at my current school aren’t doing really well, because we have different beliefs and opinions ( I also find them kinda boring sometimes), so I really want to hang out with this friend and others I had at primary school. I see online that they all still hang out together but I don’t know if it would be weird to text her out of the blue, especially because she left the high school I am currently at because she felt she had no friends. I feel as though I focused too much on getting new friends instead of on the ones I already had which is why she left. I want to reconnect because I feel as though we had a better friendship but we could be completely different people now. Should I text her and try to reconnect and apologise for what happened in year 7?.

Re: Reaching out to old friends

Hey @Booknerd, I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. I was best friends with somebody in lower primary school but we drifted a part over the next year or two with friend groups not getting along and having fights etc., and she moved away. We lost contact, but she popped up as a friend suggestion on facebook over 10 years on. I sent her a message saying "hey, do you remember me, how is everything going? I know it's been ages since we've been in contact and we didn't exactly end on great terms so I don't mind if you don't want to be in touch." She was completely open to reconnecting and we actually met up and went out for lunch. We had both moved on from what happened in school.

I was a bit hesitant to contact her but I went into it pretty opened minded and just thought if she wants to that's great but if she doesn't I said it in a way that makes it okay for her to tell me. 

Hi @Booknerd, I'm an introverted person and I'm also afraid of reconnecting with old friends because I worry that it might end up being awkward. What helped for me was telling myself that I wouldn't know how the other person would respond until I spoke to them. I had a friend who I drifted apart from because we had a lot of fights in primary school. One day when we were in high school, we coincidentally met up and she apologised to me. We decided to put the past behind us. Even though we haven't really talked since, it felt good to get some closure and be on good terms.

Hey @Booknerd it has been a few days since we've heard from you, just checking in to see how you are feeling about connecting with your old friend?  

Talk soon! Smiley Happy