cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Recommended Mental Health Books!!

Hi Everyone!!

I wanted to start a thread on book recommendations, particularly self-help books. Im not sure how many of you have read 'self-help' books but I often find them to be a little bland and offering obvious advice. So I thought it might be helpful to recommend mental health related books that you found particularly interesting and 'hit home'. I'll go first!!

1. Anything by Sarah Knight! - her titles are so funny and eye-catching. For example, 'Get Your Sh*t Together', 'Calm The F**k Down', 'you do you' - her books are easy to read, funny and get the message across clearly.

2. Lost Connections by Johann Hari. Such an amazing book that really helped me understand depression and anxiety. Johann travels the world, exploring different cultures and tells the stories of key researchers and individuals who have suffered with depression themselves. More of a sophisticated read but understanding depression and anxiety and their root causes really helped me understand something we all struggle so much with.

Please feel free to share any of your suggestions or if you have read a book from this forum!!

Highlighted

Re: Recommended Mental Health Books!!

Great thread @Wolfie_ !

I also read Lost Connections and found it very enlightening. Another standout for me is Grit by Angela Duckworth.

I'm currently reading The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk. It can be a little heavy though at times as it deals with trauma and gives related case studies.

Highlighted

Thanks for the recommendations, off to look them up on Booktopia!
Highlighted

The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris

Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown

Highlighted

@Wolfie_ 

I love this thread and suggestions! Definitely going to look up some books and try to get into reading more

Highlighted

Mental Health books are something I really enjoy, I would not call myself a reader at all however I find some comfort and enjoyment in reading book that I can relate to. 

My favourites would have to be:

Are You Ok? (written by Kati Morton - https://www.katimorton.com/areuok)

Stop Surviving, Start Fighting (written by Jazz Thornton) - This one could be triggering in terms of Depression or Suicide, so be careful. 

Highlighted

@Wolfie_ yay, I love that I found this thread now that uni is over and I can read more! Will definitely do some browsing!