cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reconnecting with family

Hey Guys, so I want to reconnect with my brother as I haven't really had much to do with him for the last few years as I have stuggled with depression and virtually shut down to anyone over that time. I am getting better and feel I may be able to handle relationships with family again. Was just looking for suggestions on how to do so though. Am thinking maybe doing something with him we both like, like gyming or something like that.

Re: Reconnecting with family

@Grake that's a great idea, doing something that you both like! I like it better than trying to sit down awkwardly and talk. 

Hey @Grake, it can certainly be tough to try and re-kindle old relationships - it's awesome that you're wanting to do so though. I think you're on the right track by starting off with an activity you'll both enjoy Smiley Happy Maybe you could also start with little things like sending a text just asking how his day's going? Or a link to a cool/funny thing on the internet you think he might enjoy? Sometimes it's the simple little things that mean the most to people - what do you think?

Hey @Grake, that's an awesome idea! It sounds great that you've gotten better over the years. That's an amazing achievement in itself! As for suggestions, perhaps you could start talking with him over text like @lokifish said. If you're feeling ready for meeting face to face, you could also eat/drink something you both like? I find that places to eat/drink are awesome environments for meeting with people. Plus you'll be hungry after going to the gym!

Hey @Grake, I'm so glad to hear you're feeling able to handle family relationships again. They can definitely be tricky sometimes. Starting with soing something you both like sounds like a really good idea. It can be a reminder of common ground and a point of conversation if you ever get stuck.

Like @lokifish said, if you feel like taking it a bit slower and easing into it with a text/email rather than face to face interaction straight away, that's totally okay too.

Let us know how you go! Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Thanks guys. I've been interacting with him by tagging him in stuff on Facebook. He is away at the moment but I'm going to try my hardest when he comes back to talk to him and stuff and yeah going to the gym with him will definitely be a thing.

@Grake that's awesome that you've been interacting with him on Facebook! Let us know how it all goes when he gets back Smiley Happy

Hey @Grake,

That is really brave of you to do something like that.. It takes a lot of self-awareness and courage to take such a big step! It sounds like you already have some pretty spot on ideas. To add to some of the list, if you don't mind talking to him on the phone, you could try that.. It'd be a step between texting and meeting face to face. How are you feeling about reconnecting with him again?

—————————

Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford